Holland rams

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
I went to a lfs today with my girlfriend, the shop was awful, betas in tiny plastic pots with not enough room to swim. I was just leaving when I saw a holland ram..... Like a german blue ram but with a tiny round stumpy body. They were in with other rams and a host of other fish, what are these guys? I've been feel really sad for those guys, they could hardly swim due to their shape etc. I thought fancy goldfish were a bit too far, but these beat that!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

NB_Aquatics

AC Members
Jan 17, 2011
SW Ohio
Real Name
Nick
Most likely a balloon ram. A trait they bred from the german blues.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Ballooned fish are becoming more and more popular. I will never buy one as they tend to have more health problems and I don't think they look good at all. Some people, however, (mostly people who don't "actually" keep fish) find them cute and/or different. It's the same thing with tattooed and dyed fish and to a lesser degree, longfin fish.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Why people do this is absolutely beyond me. It's an ethics thing.

:cheers:

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
I personally find natural fish to be far more attractive than any of the weird mutations. It's one thing to breed for different colors that have no effect on the fish's health or longevity or quality of life, it's totally another thing to breed them into a mutant that can barely survive.

OrQidz

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
I find the balloon fish really unappealing. I didn't know they were breeding rams this way now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store