DIY coil denitrator..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

terror

AC Members
May 23, 1999
Manila, Philippines
Hi,

anybody here tried a DIY denitrator?
i'm planning to try 1...
planning to use an old fluidized bed filter..
can this be used??
but even with this i'm still planning to make regular water changes.. :)

got_nailed

AC Members
Mar 26, 2004
roanoke, va
Visit site
I spent 4 hours looking at these the other night. If the water was slow enofe in the sand it could work but I don’t thing it would. I had a thought… click

I think that any water flow as long as it is slow (2-4 GPH), and has a long run of surface area (15-20) a given amount of bacteria will build up in the right order. As we all know it would be Ammonia, NitrIte, NitrAte, then No4 gas I think. The No4 gas would be released in to the air and not harm fish.

If a sand filter would be used. The sand would not stay were they should be at to keep the right bacteria in the right spots.

If needed I can pull you up a lot of info on using a DIY denitrator. You would still need to change your water, as you said you were going to.

**EDIT** not No4 gas but gaseous nitrogen.

Last edited:

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
It can be done, but its difficult to setup... and it can mess up quite badly if your pump should fail, or a power outtage occurs. Its just not fool proof enough for me to even think about attempting it.

The best nitrate removing filter? Plants. You can pump your water through a sump with emersed plants planted in them. Flow shouldn't be too high if you want the plant filter to work out well. Many LFS sell plants that will not survive well submersed, but will thrive with their roots dangling in water. You can use those, plus many other plants you can pick up at greenhouses to put together a very nice plant display by your tank if you're creative enough. Think of it as a cheap hydroponics setup (just don't grow anything illegal ;) ). Plants absorb ammonia and nitrate and turn it into organic matter, whereas a denitrator only turns nitrates into nitrogen gas.

-Richer

terror

AC Members
May 23, 1999
Manila, Philippines
thanks..

i was planning on using my old fluidized bed filter... but removing the sand and using bio balls instead..
its gonna be in my bare buttom arowana tank..

mmm the pants would be good, problem is mytank is indoors. and doesn't really recieve much light...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store