Anyone keeping darters?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DougsGraphics

Returning hobbyist
Dec 10, 2011
New Mexico
www.flickr.com
Real Name
Doug
A curiousity...
For some time, I've been contemplating setting up a darter tank. Anyone out there keeping darters? I'm currious to the temperatures people may be keeping them at, and what species may be available out there or how much collecting is going on. (Yeah, I'm also looking at the NANFA pages...)

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Haven't kept them but I have gone out collecting. I got into it quite recently (about 2 months ago) and going out and collecting fish is really fun! I haven't taken any home as don't have a tank empty. From what I read, darters like cool water, lots of current, and live/frozen foods.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I'm assuming by NANFA pages you've looked into their forum as well? If not I highly suggest it...

What species are you thinking about? Forgive me but I'm not aware of what is out there in NM should you go out collecting yourself.

DougsGraphics

Returning hobbyist
Dec 10, 2011
New Mexico
www.flickr.com
Real Name
Doug
I'm assuming by NANFA pages you've looked into their forum as well? If not I highly suggest it...

What species are you thinking about? Forgive me but I'm not aware of what is out there in NM should you go out collecting yourself.
Yes, the NANFA forum...
Not sure about what species I would want to keep, or the availability. In NM, there is only (conclusively) one species of darter (Ethiostoma lepidum, the Greenthroat Darter) which is listed as State Endangered, so that's not likely to happen. I used to catch least darters in MN at my in-law's lake cabin on occassion, just for fun to observe for a while and then quick release. Something like Rainbow Darter would be cool, as would many others; I'm just tinkering with the idea.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
If you can't keep temps below 75 in the summer Rainbows are not the Darter for you! I've done very well with Swamp Darters, Etheostoma fusiformes at typical tropical temps, but they're definitely a personality fish as opposed to most other Darter species. For an attractive species that can tolerate warmer temps look at Orangethroats, Etheostoma spectabile. They're commercially available and the ones you see are from southern populations and are more tolerant of heat. Even so you wouldn't want to see 80 for any length of time. You can usually get them here: http://www.aquaculturestore.com/

XMX

AC Members
Oct 22, 2011
I've been keeping rainbow darter for about a year now. My temp is about 70 during the winter and much higher during the summer. It doesn't seem to be suffering. However, I do noticed that it isn't as colorful as it should be.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I've been keeping rainbow darter for about a year now. My temp is about 70 during the winter and much higher during the summer. It doesn't seem to be suffering. However, I do noticed that it isn't as colorful as it should be.
They need to get cooler than 70 to come into spawning condition and color when they warm up.

DougsGraphics

Returning hobbyist
Dec 10, 2011
New Mexico
www.flickr.com
Real Name
Doug
Thanks for the info, and for the link, SubRosa. I do have a chiller available (if it still works -- it's been sitting a long time). I've got a bit to consider.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store