My Angelfish have laid eggs!?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hobsyllwin

AC Members
Aug 1, 2008
Netherlands
This afternoon my two Angelfish laid eggs. The female laid them on the side of the filter, the male then passing over them to fertilize them. What on EARTH am I supposed to do with that? After they finished they chased all of the other fish in the tank over to the other side of the tank, so the righthand side of the tank is virtually empty, save for the angelfish, and the lefthand side is crammed with the rest of my fish. Kinda funny.

I wasn't planning on having them breed, I didnt even know I had a male a female, but now I am not sure what I am supposed to do. I wouldnt mind having fry, but I dont have the resources to take care of them. SO what should I do?

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
The angels will most likely eat the eggs, and if they don't then the other fish will probably also eat the eggs. When my angels first spawned it was amazing how quickly the other fish in the tank swooped in to eat the eggs, mine have probably spawned 4 or 5 times now and each time they eat the eggs.

Even if the eggs hatch and you get wrigglers, they too will most likely be eaten. I would not worry about it all that much in a community tank. I would be more worried by the aggression from the angels (I had to move my pair to another tank).

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
:iagree: My angel pair have spawned many times, and each time except on one accasion I did move the eggs prior to hatching to try and raise them. All 300 of them were too much of a headache for me to take on, though. I had to feed live baby brine shrimp 3 times daily and do water changes once daily.

I've seen a guy move half of the eggs from the spawn site and place them in a breeder net within the parents' tank. It doesn't sound like it'd be enough room for 100 or so angels to grow up in, but the baby angels grew nicely for the first 2-3 months of their lives and had pretty finnage and good health! The guy then moved the 100 or so young angels to a 36 bow where they stayed until they were nickel size. He then sold them/gave them away. His method of raising angels in supposed cramped quarters breaks all the rules, but I can attest to it working!

What you could do is half the eggs and only raise that half following this guy's method. By the eggs being in a breeder net in the main tank, they are protected from all other fish and get the same quality of water their parents have, with stable conditions and all.

ChoiAquarium

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
If you really want to breed angelfish, I would advise u to get, a minimum of 20 gallon tank for a pair, as they will eat the eggs, if there is any sense of danger or stress among the pair. And I have been advised, that keeping the light on for 24 hours aday, increases the chance of spawning, instead of them eating the eggs. Most of the time, when they breed the first time, don't expect the eggs to be there, for more than aday, as they will eat the eggs. But, hey don't worry, as many times they breed, they will eventually get better and better.
If the eggs do hatch, and you see fries swimming around, remove the pair into a community fish tank, and have fun growing the fries.

Last edited:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
actually after the eggs are laid..provided they are fertile. the eggs hatch to wigglers.. the parents may move the wigglers.. Mine do.
in three more days the wigglers will be free swimmers.. if they yolk sac is gone you will need to feed them BBS is good i prefer to hatch my onw and frzen bbs usually killed the fry.

the parents may raise the fry or they may eat them.. many of my pair will raise the for 2-3 weeks ..then when time to spawn they will eat them..
I have one tank set up where I leave 2 pairs in (55 G) the parents will steal free swimmers in this tank..and they will raise free swimmers from the other pair if they should wander over.

if I decide to keep the fry i have to remove them in that 2 -3 week period and raise them in a growout tank.
if you don't want to worry about it..leave it alone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store