Goldfish behavior issue

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
I have a behavior issue for which I could use clarification from all of those goldfish enthusiasts out there!

I have a 60 gallon planted tank with three fancies in it ( One oranda(male, I think), one fantail (male for sure) and one panda moor with a cataract (female for sure) The Moor and the fantail are both 5 years old. The oranda is a teenager ( I am estimating about 8-9 months.)

The problem is this. The oranda is very aggressive with the older fish. As a result, the moor turns over on her back and goes "flippy fish" every time I put her in with the oranda. When I remove her to a hospital tank, she is fine, swims completely upright, and acts normal. My guess is that the teenager is exhibiting spawning behavior, and the moor has had about enough of it. It is also possible that she feeds more efficiently upside down and is more comfortable that way when she has to compete for food.

Should I remove the oranda? (I can switch out fish. I have another 60 gallon with a different female, male ratio, but that would give me two aggressive males in a 60 gallon with a red female telescope.)

I am reluctant to post this inquiry, with trepidation that I will get a response telling me that 20 gallons/fancy is inadequate space. While the issue may be territorial, there were no problems before the introduction of the blue oranda. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
i feel 20g per fish is more than fine, i run at 20 for the 1st fancy plus 10 for each added after that, as long as water tests come back ok and filtration/maintenance is kept up with. can you not do a male tank, and a female tank? i wouldnt leave 2 amorous males with a delicate fancy such as a telescope personally :)

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Sorry for the late reply, Kelly, but I appreciate your responding to the question. I've been off for a while. I have tried "sororities" and "Fraternities." The fraternities ( much as in real life) got a little wilder than they should and someone ended up getting hurt. Problem seems to have temporarily abated, as when I returned the telescope to her original tank, the fantail has started acting like a "guide fish" and she seems to have fewer problems. They're all kind of hanging out right now, so maybe junior finally got the picture! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store