Maxi-jet 900 buzzing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gordonw

AC Members
Nov 29, 2009
renton, wa
One of the powerheads im using in my cube is a maxi-jet 900. Initially i had set it up as the return pump for the cube and it was running fine and perfectly quiet. Just recently i switched it out for a different pump and moved the 900 into the display as a circulation powerhead and set it up using an impeller first, still running silent. Just tonight i switched it around and replaced the impeller with the propeller it came with, and while the flow has increased significantly...its got a decently loud buzzing sound now -- anyone else use this powerhead and have the same issue with the propeller?

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
I take it you switched from 2 different pumps and now the origional one for the unit buzzes? Well buzzing could be from the impeller cavetating, did you remember to change the shaft, plascic encaps missing, or maybe something is making it crooked or spin crooked. take it apart and put it back together again and try, try again

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
The Maxi-Jet Pros are a little temperamental. The name "Maxi-Jet" is all that really links them to the quality of the old product. Otherwise they are manufactured cheaper and not as reliable as they used to be. That said, they work but expect them to have some quirks.

Now the things to check;
The cage over the propeller needs to be seated properly otherwise it'll make noise. The prop should be stuck in the cage then the cage put on, if you did it the other way you may not have gotten the prop seated perfectly.
It could just need to break in. I've found they run a little loud when they first start out then calm down after a day or so.
It could also depend on what is around it. I know having one touching glass get quite noisy, but usually that isn't likely to happen anyways.
Otherwise, circulation pumps can be like that sometimes. Some run dead silent and other run a little loud, even in the same product line. It is one of the annoying things about circ pumps, especially on the discount end.

gordonw

AC Members
Nov 29, 2009
renton, wa
Well, i moved it around, took apart and reassembled and it seems to be slightly more quiet...but not silent like the other one. i think your right khemul, thats what i get for the price i paid

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
yeah if the shaft moves around while spinning would cause the noise.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store