Mystery snail hasn't moved in awhile

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vtx-coley

I like waffles
Jul 15, 2007
Hopatcong, NJ USA
www.vtxcafe.com
My Mystery snail used to be very active, but lately he/she hasn't been moving much. In fact he hasn't moved in 3 -4 days. He does open and close. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I've had him for about 8 months and this is the least active he's been. He's about 1" in diameter.

Water temp. 78*
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10
pH 7.6
55 gallon cycled for a month. He was in my 20 before this.

Maintenance: 50% water change weekly with half tank gravel vac, I use Prime, 3 small plants (anubis) and malaysian driftwood, 55 gallon, gravel substrate

vtx-coley

I like waffles
Jul 15, 2007
Hopatcong, NJ USA
www.vtxcafe.com
No he was a little guy, maybe 1/2 inch. Nobody really picks on him. Sometimes the platys feed gently off his shell.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
is he eating? what do you feed him? Honestly, he is getting to the "elderly" stage of snaily life. He might just be getting old.

vtx-coley

I like waffles
Jul 15, 2007
Hopatcong, NJ USA
www.vtxcafe.com
Don't really feed him anything. I thought he would just get the leftovers.

What do you recommend? Veggies?

Old age already? Huh.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Sure, they love veggies especially cucumber, zucchini and green beans IME. You can weigh them down with a fork or a chip clip. It might take a couple tries for him to eat them but he most likely will catch on quickly. Most of the "larger" snails live a year and a half or thereabouts.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
from the apple snail website:

The apple snail's life expectancy mainly depends on the temperature of their environment and the general life conditions. At lower temperatures, the apple snail can get over 3 years old and records of apple snails of ten years old have been reported. Lanistes nyassanus has an estimated life span of 5 to 10 years in Lake Malawi, Africa.
At a temperature of 25°C, they will only live 12-16 months. At higher temperatures, the snails are more active because their metabolism increases with the temperature, but this also speeds up their life cycle and thus shortens their life expectancy.
So you can elongate your snail's life by lowering the temperature. A general rule: keep the temperature between 18 and 28°C (65-82°F).
It is suspected that at least some apple snail species need an aestivation period in the mud to avoid burning-out.
78F = 25.5 C

vtx-coley

I like waffles
Jul 15, 2007
Hopatcong, NJ USA
www.vtxcafe.com
Thanks for all the help.

Ya know I research my fish for hours and I really haven't done any for my snail. He always seemed happy, so I just let him be.

I put some boiled zucchini by him on a clip. I'll see what happens.

He did just come out for a minute, got some fresh water, I suppose, and closed back up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store