How do Malaysian Trumpet Snails Breed?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jellymolly44

Handsome Fella
Jun 14, 2008
Louisville
Is it true you may only need one? I have heard that they are polycite animals. They do a great job at eating certain algaes. I have a bunch in my 75 gallon aquarium with black convict cichlids and their babies with a common plecostomus to eat the algae on the glass. I really like these guys, but they only seem to come out with the lights off. What ashamed.

Jellymolly44

Handsome Fella
Jun 14, 2008
Louisville
I here that they are bad for Goldfish aquariums because the water is too cool for them and they won't breed.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
Is it true you may only need one? I have heard that they are polycite animals. They do a great job at eating certain algaes. I have a bunch in my 75 gallon aquarium with black convict cichlids and their babies with a common plecostomus to eat the algae on the glass. I really like these guys, but they only seem to come out with the lights off. What ashamed.

It is true, all you need is one. They are for the most part nocturnal. You may occasionally see them doing their job during the day, but for the most part they stay hidden in the substrate until lights out.

I here that they are bad for Goldfish aquariums because the water is too cool for them and they won't breed.
I have them in cold water set ups and they do fine and multiply. I have one tank in the lower 60F range.

Hope this helps.

Fishbreeder101

AC Members
Apr 11, 2012
Ny
Real Name
Ali
i bought 10 of these yesterday and as i was watching one today i saw tiny version of this snail crawling on it and as i observed it the little snil like figure fell to the bottom and dug its way through the sand i haven't seen it since. mostly because it is barely visable

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store