Could I add 3 frontosa to my 110g tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ali_uk_1

Registered Member
Mar 19, 2012
I'm looking to add more fish to my tank (120 x 50 x 70), and am hoping for suggestions on what would be appropriate.

At the moment I have 1 leleupi (around 4 years old, and very dominant!), 1 cylindricus, 1 syno multipunctus, 2 calvus and 1 compressiceps.

I do weekly 60% water changes, and my parameters are zero ammonia and nitrite, 10-20 nitrate (same as tap water), pH 7.8 and kh 14.

I have tried adding a group of 8, 3 inch cyps (approx the same size as the leleupi) but within 10 minutes the leleupi had one of their heads in its mouth and I had to remove them.

Do you think it would be ok to add a group of 3, 7 inch fronts to this tank, or is this tank not really big enough? Do you think there would be aggression between any of these fish?
Thanks in advance.

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
My main concern would be that the fronts would get beat up. fronts are some of the most mild mannered cichlids you can find, with them getting up around a food a piece, you'll probably have problems with them eating your other fish :/

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
You could but i would not add more than what you suggested, I had five in a 120gal 5' footprint with the same fish you listed and all was fine, I just didn't keep them past 9" if you want something that is a little smaller and looks like them you could try a trio of Tretocephalus..

ali_uk_1

Registered Member
Mar 19, 2012
Thanks for your replies. It seems that adding fronts isn't a very good idea. I've had tretocephalus before, but they were killed too (probably by the same leleupi).

If I re-aquascape the tank, add a group of new leleupi (or tretocephalus) then add my fish back in later do you think that would work? Or do you think they would all get killed too?

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Not sure in my experience of keeping Tangs is that my Lelupi were aggressive like everyone else but didn't kill any of the others so you just may have a very aggressive Lelupi, I just sold off a 5 pack of the Tret's but mine were big and they were very aggressive so it may be a choice of getting something already bigger to off set the tables of sizes with aggression or just rehome the Lelupi..

To answer your question though if you do a rescape and add the fish back at a later date it may work for a bit but the aggression will come back as well, its just how Tang's roll..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store