What on earth is this?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mrb1324

AC Members
Nov 30, 2010
Real Name
Matt
My bristlenose just started to get this yesterday morning and now it's freaking horrible. I've done 2 water changes and added Melafix after the second today. Any ideas on what it is, what caused it, and if there is anything else I can do?

2012-03-14_17-24-14_633.jpg 2012-03-14_17-24-28_570.jpg

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Some things that might help us help you

tank size
filtration
cleaning scheduled
tank stock
water test readings.

looks like it might be heater burn but its hard to see in that pic..could you try for a clear shot?

mrb1324

AC Members
Nov 30, 2010
Real Name
Matt
Tank- 29gallon
Filtration- Marineland Penguin 150, Top Fin 10
Weekly 25% water change and gravel vac
I know these fish are schooling fish. Getting around to more of them: 2 black skirts, 3 pristella tetra, 1 zebra danio, and 1 bristlenose
ammonia, nitrite, chlorine: 0ppm nitrate 10ppm PH 7.2 hard water

I took multiple pictures and these were the best I could get. I'll see if I can get better ones tomorrow. In regards to my tank stock, none of the other fish bother the bristlenose at all so I don't think it's from nipping. I might add that this started off as a "blood bubble" I guess on the other side of the tail. Another smaller one was developing right beside it. In a matter of 30 or so hours, it looked like this.

That said, this is at my apartment at school and I am at home right now. I'm dreading walking back in there tomorrow...hopefully I see some improvement..

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Hard to tell for sure, but if it just appeared suddenly it's possibly a heater burn. For now just keep an eye on it and make sure the water stays very clean to avoid infection.

mrb1324

AC Members
Nov 30, 2010
Real Name
Matt
Well I went back to check on her today. Based on what she looked like yesterday, I was prepared for the worst and was thinking I'd have to put her down. However, when I walked in, she was out on the side of the glass and looked soooo much better. The picture is a bit blurry but you can definitely see the improvement. She still has a couple red spots and the scales around her tail are a bit raised and weird looking, but she looks pretty good. Did another water change and added a half dose of Melafix. Hopefully it looks even better tomorrow.

rsz_2012-03-15_18-05-23_13.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store