Not so fun Trout fishing trip

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rob24

AC Members
Apr 21, 2003
http
The only fishing I really do, is: Trout Fishing.

I go a few times a week normally. We have some of the best Trout streams in the state. Normally I use barbless hooks as I don't eat them and don't like the taste of fish.

On Tuesday I had the urge to hit up the stream right after work. My co-worker and I had been chatting about fishing. I told him if I caught a few nice ones. I would bring them into him.

I went to the store and bought some new spinners. Headed out to the stream and began fishing. I decided since I was going to keep some of the fish I would leave the barbs on the hooks. About five casts later I had a 15" Brook trout in the bag. My first cast after catching the brooky, I some how managed to get a little close to my neck with the spinner! It got embedded just under my ear! I thought whoops... I'll just pull it out and continue on. BUT WAIT!! This sucker still has the barbs! I pulled on it a little more... then gave up. Walked up the bank and noticed another fisherman... I thought...Hmmmm, I'll have the fella take a look and see how bad it is. He looked and his eyes opened up a little bit and said "That things buried!" Oh great.. Now what the heck do I do? I wished the man better luck then I and parted ways.

As I was walking back to my car I decided to call my brother. I drove to his house with a spinner hanging out of my neck.
The master plan was to curl the hook and send it the rest of the way around and cut it off.. But wait! I have some pretty important parts in that part of my neck! Bad Idea! Can we grab it with a pair of pliers and yank it out the way it went in??? Yeah, sounds like a plan! But then again... I thought better of myself. Any other part of the body yes... In my neck NO! Now plan "C" off the the Doctor I went. Pretty humbled, as I had a spinner still in my neck. I covered it up with a piece of tape to save my dignity.

Doc took one look at it and said " we have alittle trick for this" He took a piece of string and tied it around the hook and yanked it out! No pain what so ever. I thought heck I could have done that!!

On a pain scale of one to ten. I would give this whole ordeal a 1.

On a "feel like a dummy scale" I would give it a 500.

dirtydawg10

Severum Mafia Don
Sep 5, 2005
Connecticut
I've seen that trick done before and it supposedly works pretty good. This is a pretty good video though...it's long but you should watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WOGXkJazJM&feature=player_embedded#!

Either way would be fine above the neck I would think because it's just in your skin and won't be able to go deep enough to hit anything important.

Captnslapy

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Vermilion,Ohio
That's kinda funny as I had something along those lines happen to me when I was a teenager. I was fishing with a bunch of guys and the kid next to me casted his spinner hard to the right side of my head. Right near the temple area. I ended up in the hospital due to my mother freaking out and the doctors there had a good laugh. It was a bear to get out. Thankfully you feel little pain in that area.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
glad it worked out well in the end.

I have always used the 'pull it through, cut the barb, pull it out' method...but then again i usually had to do this with: my calf, forearm, hand, foot, ankle, back and side.
Remind me not to go fishing with you!

Glad you got it out OK!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store