Did you know that airline tubing stiffens with age?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Danny-O

How do I change my user title?
Mar 4, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
www.howmanyfish.com
I didn't until today. I had to disassemble some today (part of my old-skool UGF) temporarily during a deep cleaning of the lid. When I went to put it back together, it wouldn't go! I surely didn't remember it being this hard to work with when I set it up originally. Finally the light dawned...after a blister. I snipped off the stiff ends and was back in business.
:duh:

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Yup. There is a silicone tubing you can buy that isn't suppose to get brittle like the plastic. I haven't used it long enough to test it. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Silicone tubing oxidizes and gets hard too - if it's under water.
The lines to the tank stay flexible a lot longer than vinyl.
Thank you. That's good to know and makes sense. Hmmm...I wonder why they don't put that on the packaging. lol

BE_n_BT

AC Members
Feb 29, 2012
NY
Real Name
Peter H
Ultraviolet light does it to vinyl in about a month. What I do with my overly stiff tubing is snip off the part causing the problem, then splice in a fresh piece. The stuff away from the lights seems to last for years.

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
yup...it does that...I just make my airlines extra long so i can slice the ends off when needed.

I bought some black airline probably Lee's Stealth...it stays flexible a lot longer.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
actually that is kindof funny, i just moved an airstone for the first time in close to a year and it held the shape so well that i was just able to hang it in my closet by the stiff hooked end where it hooked up to the control valve.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store