opening a bait shop

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

theemon

AC Members
Jun 14, 2009
well i have been thinking about this all summer. really all i need is

-worms, witch i can catch from my back yard for free
-worm storage, i have huge strofoam containers for right now. can maybe hold 2000-3000 worms.
-tempature- under control
-minnows, witch i can catch from local creeks, assuming a fishing licence is required and some rerstrictions apply.
-business licence, under control
-a cell phone number, under control

there is no local bait shops, just the vending machine and a few mini fridges in some gas stations. is there anything im overlooking? anyone have sugjestions? does anyone have experience?

ive been stoping everyone i see at the bait vending machines and asking there opinion, and everyone says theyd love a local bait shop. im thinking of opening in the spring, i could even drive to the dozen or so spots around my area(within 10 miles or so) for a small fee.

maverickbr77

la-te-da
Jan 26, 2009
Lowville, NY
Real Name
Adam
I know locally minnows have to be farmed and have permits with them when you take them out on the water to show they were purchased from a licensed source. this is due to the prevalence of viral hemorrhagic septicemia.

MacMyers

AC Members
Sep 14, 2010
Palm Harbor, FL
Real Name
Mac Myers
I know in my area there are a few Saltwater shops that seem to be able to survive. But no Freshwater shops. Even the two that were on Lake Tarpon are gone. It seems most Fisherman on the lake use cheap crays, Worms from their own bins, Crickets from Cricket farms. The only shop on Lake Tarpon that sells bait sells minnows and not much else. Plus it's a Pawn Shop selling minnows on the side. :cool:

theemon

AC Members
Jun 14, 2009
here is ohios bait dealer regulations
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Default.aspx?tabid=18644

look, im thinking small time here, they call i sell worms. im not sitting behind a desk waiting on people to show up. if they call i make 2.50$(per dozen) if they dont the business goes under. im just trying to make extra money here. i figure a min. wage job pages u about 50$ a day. thats 20 dozen worms... what would it hurt to try?

MotionInSilver

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
Not worth it to be backyard bait shop... with all sticky regulations with VHS...

in some areas around here they make us dump the minnows in the garbage that we didn't use before leaving the dock due to VHS regulations... and I'm never seeing contiminants with minnows anymore because they're making sure they're licensed source and collecting from the creek is asking for the DNR to knock at your door

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
It's doable but you'll probably need to think bigger. Aside from angle worms and minnows, I'd stock crickets, meal worms and crays. Best to find commercial suppliers for the live bait. If big yellow flathead catfish are fished for in your area, I'd stock live sunfish too. Also, it would help to have a stock of frozen, like shrimp and cut bait. Every successful bait shop in our area also stocks tackle, bait buckets, nets, snacks, soft drinks and beer. I live on the gulf coast of Texas and you can't swing a dead cat without hittin' a bait shop around here. The ones that last through the years are the ones that stock the widest variety of bait and hard goods.

Mark

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
the only bait shops i know of around here have gone out of business, or are in the process of it. the successful ones are the ones that mainly sell gear and have a 1/2 decent selection of bait.

A friends dad owned a bait store down the jersey shore and did well for a long time...a bait only shop....he owned the land and the store so his expenses were minimal, and then things started slowing down, then they started really slowing down, then he got a real job and kept the bait shop open with no employees. no employees? he got 5 security cameras, a large piece of paper displaying the honor code, another showing how to calculate sales tax, and a bin with a bunch of money in it. No one stole a thing from that store but there just weren't enough people coming in anymore.

What is the point of my story?
Write a BUSINESS PLAN!!!!!!!!!

Knoxx

AC Members
Oct 10, 2009
Wisconsin
If your unemployed I say pick thoose crawlers and earn some money while searching for a job. I don't know your area but you can try it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store