bubble Algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

buttered loins

GO SPRINGBOKS!!!!
Jul 9, 2007
Wollongong, Sydney, Australia
Hey guys
Just a quick common question, um i have this sand bed and i am always geting this dark red colour algae on the top of it and bubbles from under neath it i dont know if the bubbles come from the sand bed but it's definately coming from under the red algae because it is lifting off the surface of the red algae and taking it to the top of the water.

So any ideas what i can do to get rid of it or is it harmless.
Thanks

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
Pictures would help but sounds like it might be Cyno, if it is do WC and suck out as much as you can and increase flow also reduce feeding and lighting will help. Please give us more info, lighting, flow, filtration, age of tank and water parameters

TropicalNorth

Bligh..The Demander Of Attention..
Jun 9, 2006
North Queensland, Australia
Sounds like cyano to me too. The bubbles are the oxygen produced by the algae then getting trapped underneath, that is my understanding anyway.

I agree with what archer772 says, syphon it out and increase the flow in that area. High nitrate and phosphate levels can cause an increase in algal growth, I think high phosphates are the most important with cyano growth but I could be wrong.

buttered loins

GO SPRINGBOKS!!!!
Jul 9, 2007
Wollongong, Sydney, Australia
well my tank parameters are nitrate 9ppm, Nitrite and /ammonia at 0, PH is 8.3 and salinty at 1.024. phosphate level um not sure and tanks lights are on blue for 12 hours and white for 8 hours. i have siphon it out but it seems to already begining to reform. my feeding is pretty low besides for the feeding of my eel and lionfish. i must admit that the water flow could be more but their is still water flow there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store