Source for Nice Fancy Goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chondropython

AC Members
Jul 11, 2008
Can anyone direct me to a good source for really nice / "high-end" fancy goldfish? The ones that I can get locally at the big pet stores just don't look near as nice as the ones I've seen in the books.

Thanks in advance.

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
aquabid.com gets some amazing ones occasionally.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Steve is a great guy, very knowledgeable, and the only person in the US right now who's bringing in and breeding tosakin for re-sale. Ken, of Dandy Orandas, through Goldfishconnection, has over the years, become my only source for goldfish (IMO it's best to pick a source and stick with it to avoid different bugs from different pools etc.) Paul, of ranchumaniax is the best source for Thai ranchu, but can be pricier than Ken even, and is relatively sporadic in bringing fish in. Andrew, of fish sempai recently stopped shipping to the US, but is still good for Canadian customers. Tommy, of goldfishnet.com is good for more moderately priced fish, and the guys from goldfishutopia, you can pm me to find out how I feel about them. If you're on the east coast, the MAKC Koi show will be going on in MD this September, and is a great place to go and scope out your own purchases.

Ken, sends out a dvd catalog which incidentally just shipped yesterday. I'd suggest contacting him and getting a copy if you are serious about seeing the best goldies that are reaching US shores (again, imo). You can get in touch with him directly, or wait till goldfishconnection puts up auctions for some of the cherries.

Here's the website with his contact info:

http://home.columbus.rr.com/dandyorandas/

Chondropython

AC Members
Jul 11, 2008
Thanks for the quick responses and the welcome.

I've had saltwater & tropical fish my whole life, but these will be my first goldfish. I bought a house with a 350 gallon outdoor concrete pond... I really wanted koi, but decided it was too small to do them justice (for any decent amount of time, at least). I'm getting eveything up & running this weekend and will post pics once I get it planted.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
For a pond, your best bet is probably Steve with his watonai, comets, and shubbies. Top view ranchu are among the most expensive goldfish anywhere, but in the States, you'll be paying premium prices for Thai and Japanese throwaways, and the type of ponds they require are quite specific in nature. In reality, for commons and comets, even the pet store stock can grow into very magnificent specimens, as any of Flaringshutter's photos can attest.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
I just bought a watonai and he's absolutely gorgeous. Brightest, richest red color I've ever seen and so healthy. Steve was great about helping me pick out the watonai that will hold their tail the best as adults, which fish would be good breeders and why.
Watonai are wonderful. They have a slightly thicker body than commons, but a lovely tail that opens up like a flower when they pause in the water. Gorgeous for top-view too.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
They would probably be best suited kept with the hardier varieties like comets, wakins, shubbies, and such. I have to ask where you are located, as most fancies will not be able to winter outdoors in colder climates, and their tolerance to extremes of temperature only lessen as they get fancier. In all honesty, keeping fancy goldfish can be alot harder than many think, and it is best to arm yourself with plenty of research and experience before plopping down the money for the really high end stuff. Additionally, it's not safe to assume that all fancy goldfish can be kept together. Even there, they are best broken down into groups based on their mobility and overall hardiness.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store