New Nerite snails :)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
I got one for my 10 because I saw my LFS FINALLY had these beautiful (zebra?) nerites and I just couldn't resist buying one. I put him in my ten, and it immediately began to clean all the algae of the glass that the shrimps couldn't/don't get and I decided to get a couple more, one for each tanks (gonna go get another one for my 15 today, it has lots of algae issues). Is $2 each a bad price or about normal? I paid $5 for 2, but that was because the owner wasn't there who would have only charged me $4 (he likes me, not like that:dance2:). But now pic time :) SO much easier to take pics of snails than shrimp or fish. Oh and another question, the one in the 30 has moved to the top of the rock it's pictured on and hasn't moved since, is there something wrong with it?
Thanks

IMG-20120307-00476.jpg IMG-20120307-00475.jpg IMG-20120307-00471.jpg IMG-20120307-00472.jpg IMG-20120307-00473.jpg

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
That's a very good price, very pretty. I have some and sometimes they dissapear and you think well
ok someone ate them. And then one day you see them cleaning again! I have one in my tank
and he's there and then he's gone, or they flip over. I'm sure your nerite is ok, sometimes they seem
to take a rest:)

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
Really? Awesome, how much do they usually go for? Just curious. And ok, just seeing, because he cleaned most of the algae off the rock, but hasn't moved, I'm sure you're right, taking a break. Good to know, thanks :) These really are some very pretty snails! Such awesome colors and patterns happen in nature.
Also has anyone ever added straight calcium pills to the tank? The snails in my 15 seem to need a little extra calcium supplements, their shells aren't looking the best (even though I thought they would be ok because there are TONS of pest snail shells in the substrate because there are assassin snails vs pest snails battle going on haha, but guess they aren't enough)

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
2-3 dollars is about the going rate for those snails. Well worth it too in my opinion! I love my nerite snails and have never fed them calcium supplements. Their shells look as great as ever. As far as taking a break and resting, I've seen them stay in one spot for a while and I've seen them flipped over for a while. they're always gone the next day, so it's all good. I feed them blanched zucchini when i feed my ottos. The only bad thing about nerite snails are the eggs they lay all over the place. They're a bit unsightly.

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
Really? I thought they needed brackish to breed? Or are you saying they lay eggs regardless? And are they asexual or sexual breeders (I can't seem to find this info)?

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
So my snail in the 10 laid a bunch of eggs and I'm wondering if they will hatch (I don't want them to). Everywhere I've read says that they only breed in brackish and this is a freshwater, so will they just not hatch?

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
They may or may not "hatch" but won't survive. Like many species while they can live in fresh, the young develop in saltwater. Had one nerite that turned my heater into a connect the dots photo.

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
The way to tell if the snail is really dead is if it hasn't moved in days take it out and look inside if there is no snail in the shell anymore it is dead. Shrimp, pest snails, and other nerites will eat the snail if it's dead. Another perk of having a clean up crew, I never remove cherry shrimp when they die in my shrimp tank because the rest end up eating the body. Those silly Cannibals.

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
Ok cool, thanks tola, this one def is laying eggs EVERYWHERE! Wish it was only on the heater. Are they asexual reproducers?
and Brad, thanks, yea I had one die on me =( not sure why but oh well, more food for my assassin snails. And about the dead shrimp, I do the same! Haha I remember once I woke up to an amano running away with the body of a cherried shrimp, terrified me (first time I've seen a shrimp eat another one) and still kinda gross, but yup they are silly cannibals haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store