monterey anemones

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
the beaches are littered with blue-green anemones in Monterey, California and surrounding areas. anyone have any idea what species they are? No, I'm not taking any...the area is protected.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
We have one at the college I work at. Do a google image search for "Giant green anemone" and tell me if that is the one your thinking of. I just know they have a huge chiller on that tank to keep the water cold. The tank is all stuff from that area that the marine bio teacher goes out during summers and dives and collects himself.. I mentioned the "laws" about that stuff and his response was "they have the catch me first".. man did that make me mad. He brings in several octopii (think that is plural) each fall when college starts and puts them in the tank with all the other stuff he collects.. nothing ever seems to live more than a few months though other than the anemone.

whyzee250

AC Members
Aug 17, 2005
Salida, CA
Ace, thanks for the reply. Those anemones in the pic (under that sunfish/seal hybrid thing lol) look identical to the ones found along the coasts of Monterey, Pacifica, Carmel, etc. They completely cover the rocks in the tide pool areas.

It's mind boggling that a marine bio teacher has that mentality.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
That picture is supposedly a sea lion in the waters near Monterey.

Ya, there is a saying that I never heard until I started working for a school, it is "Those who can't.... teach.", meaning people that couldn't get a real job in the world doing what they like end up being a teacher in a school about the subject. At first I thought that was kind of a mean saying.. but after years of working with teachers... I can say it is absolutely true. Sad thing is the teachers have one of the best unions in the nation so it takes an act of a much higher power to get them out of there. I don't question why California rates in the bottom 5 states when it comes to education though, I see the reasons daily.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store