Scored! New baby Red Chromides!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mrs. Bixbee

AC Members
Dec 24, 2011
Washburn, WI on Lake Superior
:thumbsup: We got our new babies today, slowly acclimated to our tank, and after just a hour they are eating and having a ball in their new home.

Nickel sized, just perfect. We have 6 individuals, hoping to get a pair, or even two if extremely fortunate.

Seems these Red Chromies are hard to come by in these here parts, but we held out and got lucky. They have a heavily planted tank with driftwood and rocks and caves everywhere, and should be very happy. Only other inhabitants are 3 darling bumblebee gobies, and 6 ghost shrimp (too big to fit in the chromies mouths!;))

Just thought I would share my good news and make my first post. It's wonderful to find a board that has an actual brackish water forum!:y220e:

We are ancient fishkeepers, over 50 years now. Yes, that's old. We have had freshwater and saltwater both, and almost every kind of fish imaginable. LOVE this hobby. Everything is so EASY now. Don't get me started on the "how it used to be". (Cutting our fingers to shreds from filling corner filters with glass wool..........ugh.........)

Glad to be here and share the wonderful world of our finned friends.

The very best New Year to all!

Mrs. Bixbee

Mrs. Bixbee

AC Members
Dec 24, 2011
Not yet! New camera coming (was x-mas delayed) and then I have to learn how to use it!! But I WILL post pics as soon as I learn how! They are a must see, believe me. And if I must toot my own horn (blush..) the tank turned out pretty darn awesome. Would love to share.

Mrs. B

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
nice hope they don't get too mean. I had a breeding pair of orange chromides, wouldn't tolerate anything =(. Keep an eye out on the tankmates

Mrs. Bixbee

AC Members
Dec 24, 2011
Thank you for the information. I will heed your advice. They have a way to go, they are awfully small. I just hope I get a breeding pair.

Ate like they were starving this a.m. I am keeping them at 1.005. All my research advises this is the best. Do you agree?

Any other info on sexing/breeding/etc. will be most appreciated!

Good day,

Mrs. B

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Sounds exciting! I've been curious about chromides myself, never have seen them for sale however. Can't wait for pics :) It's great to have someone in the hobby that remembers the old, old days! I like getting books from the 70s and 80s just to see what it used to be like, not to mention they are cheaper than dirt ;)

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
I had mine in 1.010 but 1.005 is fine. They will look for a curface to clean and lay thier eggs on, just like angelfish. Fry develop quick though parents will eat them, the fry will soon be able to feed on pods, started them on frozen/bottled rotifers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store