pre made pond liners

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishman1979

Suffers from MTS
Feb 7, 2006
Aldan, PA
hey guys, i was walking through my local home depot the other day and happened upon some pre shaped plastic pond liners. the one struck my eye was a 250g one. an outdoor pond is something that i am looking into doing this summer.
does anyone have any experience with using these? also, in reading other posts on here, i have noticed that this size is too small to keep koi, so what kind of fish could i keep in this size?
thanks

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
I've had a small approx. 60 gallon one for years...just dig out the shape and depth, leave a little room for sand before you insert it to fill in any irregularities underneath the pond insert. Since I have a lot of raccoons, I stick with a couple common goldfish...I have a raccoon proof screen now and they are doing fine....Some heavy rocks have fallen in a few times, with no damage to the liner.

Desertponder

AC Members
Feb 21, 2006
Western Colorado
Yes, too small for koi but you can have a few goldfish in that preform.

The big trick to preforms is getting them level.
Pick out the area you want to place it. Turn it upside down and draw the shape of the unit on the ground with spraypaint or mark it with rope. Dig out the area. Use damp sand to line the bottom of the hole and set the unit in the hole. Use a good straight piece of 2X4 and a level. Make adjustments as needed. Once the unit appears to be level start filling it with water, about half full is good. Let it sit for a couple of hours and then recheck your level in both directions. Adjust if needed. Start packing the dirt and damp sand in around the sides. Pack it well with your hands and check your level constantly as you go so you can make adjustments. Continue filling the unit with water and filling in the sides with sand. Check and recheck your level as you go. If you do, you will have a reasonably level unit once you are done. Using the damp sand helps to hold the unit in place and makes it easier to make adjustments if needed.
It is a little extra work but very much worth it when you are done. If preforms are not level when they are set it is really noticeable so take your time.

fishman1979

Suffers from MTS
Feb 7, 2006
Aldan, PA
wow, thanks for the info guys. by the looks of things i should be getting this within the next few weeks and will let you know how i make out with some pix.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store