Light fixture for 60 gallon planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

arelis89

AC Members
Dec 16, 2012
So I am going to start my 60 gallon planted tank soon and was wondering what light fixture would be best. The dimensions are 48"L X 13"W X 20"H. I was considering the getting two 48" aquaticlife T5HO 2 bulb fixture (I want light to be evenly distributed in the front and the back of my tank). Here's the link for that:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/aquaticlife-dual-lamp-t5-ho-freshwater-light-48in?sc=10&category=2789

I was wondering if two of them would be enough or if there is something better to consider. Any advice on what fixture would work best with the depth of my tank? I will also be running CO2.

arelis89

AC Members
Dec 16, 2012
Also..i know it's completely unrelated to the question i originally posted, but I wanted to know something about filtration as well. I have a Rena Xp2 canister filter. What media and in what order do you recommend? will I have problems with the outlow being too much? the specs say 300 g/h. Is there any way I can add something to control the outflow in case it is in fact too much? Thank you in advance :)

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Two of those will give you a very nice green algae farm. 216W of T5 over a 60 gallon. A wee bit too much. One of them will work just fine.

For the filter the XP2 will work just fine. just be sure to get a spray bar and you'll be fine.

aheminway

AC Members
Dec 29, 2007
I recommend a filter media product called chemi-pure. I know a lot of folks who use it and I swear by it for my planted tanks. I'm sure some ppl will have other ideas, but check out the product reviews and decide if it's for you. Good luck!

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

arelis89

AC Members
Dec 16, 2012
but I feel that the back of the tank if not getting enough light on the back of the tank...is there anything i can do about this?I really want light distributed evenly through the tank...any advice? And I will look into the Chemi-pure, thank you for the suggestion :)

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
Dude, V is right, A four-foot, 2 lamp T5HO fixture will be just fine for growing just about anything you want to grow and the light distribution - front to back - will be just fine

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
I have done a lot of searching for a cheap, and affordable light fixture. I found that the dual 108w T5 fixtures on eBay are the best choice. I bought one for $65 and it works great! I highly recommend them.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BoCoMo

In need of grace
Mar 2, 2009
Missouri
I have 130 watts over a 20Tall with CO2 and it isn't an algae farm so don't let them scare you away from light. You have to do maintenance and keep the aquarium in balance but you should be doing that anyway. That being said I think your plan is just fine. Look into the coralife fixtures as I have had great luck with their PC's and would feel comfortable recommending them to anyone (I have sold most but at one time I had 7 going) I am slowly switching over to LED's. have you considered an LED fixture or maybe a cluster of Par 38's?

arelis89

AC Members
Dec 16, 2012
I have thought of led...I was just concerned about my plant growth. Which is better T5HO or LED? I know LED is more expensive too.

BoCoMo

In need of grace
Mar 2, 2009
Missouri
I have only run PC and LED. LED's are more expensive up front but I believe offer several benefits including: less energy used, run cooler, last much longer, no bulb changing, less color temp fluctuation due to aging. Would you be interested in a fixture or a couple par 38 spots? If a fixture would you do DIY or just buy? I am switching all to LED's but I still have a planted 20 with 130 watts of PC light and I love the fixtures. As the bulbs go out I will switch to Par 38's though - JMO

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store