Betta body/fin rot!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

palmbreeze

Fish are friends...not food!
Jul 26, 2005
Ohio
My poor betta has body/fin rot! His tail is pretty much gone, and his body at the base of where his tail was looks like it is rotting as well. It is kinda green and fuzzy looking. Poor betta! I feel terrible! The tank is planted and I just dosed with Melafix and Pimafix. Will that help? What else should I do!?

:help:

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
if it was caught in time, and he is still strong he should be fine.
i just lost a panda cory to the same thing but i didn't know he had it for they have been hiding in the dense plants for months and only come out after dark, but was treating it for 3 days but the infection was too far advanced..

Kyohti

Curiouser and Curiouser...
Jan 5, 2007
Northeastern Oklahoma
When my betta had fin fungus like that, I did a quick salt bath and then threated with anti-fungals. Cleared that crap up FAST. But then again, mine weren't in large planted aquariums, either...

palmbreeze

Jul 26, 2005
Ohio
The tank is a 5.5 gallon with a filter, heater and co2.

NinjaPirate

AC Members
Oct 28, 2006
Minnesota
His tail is pretty much gone, and his body at the base of where his tail was looks like it is rotting as well. It is kinda green and fuzzy looking. Poor betta! I feel terrible! The tank is planted and I just dosed with Melafix and Pimafix. Will that help? What else should I do!?

:help:
Prima and mela aren't nearly strong enough to take care of the problem once you hit body rot. If you want to have any chance at saving him you need to start him on some serious medications. Kyohti's suggestion will work for the fungus, but you'll want to combine it with a hard-hitting med to stop the rot as soon as possible. Being so far advanced, I'd suggest Kanaplex by seachem (Kanamycin)

palmbreeze

Jul 26, 2005
Ohio
So how do I switch the medicines? Do I need to do a water change? A full water change? Or can I simply just start adding the new medicine to the tank without doing anything?

palmbreeze

Jul 26, 2005
Ohio
Will the med hurt the other fish in the tank? I think I can see the bone now!

boofish2

show me your fish
Aug 5, 2006
Aww man, that looks pretty bad. I don't know how much of a chance you got with him but I'd take NinjaPirate's advice and use some stronger antibiotics. Do a partial water change 30% and either use Kanamycin or you can combine Maracyn and Maracyn II just follow the instructions carefully and make sure you treat for the full length of time as directed. Good luck and keep us posted.

palmbreeze

Jul 26, 2005
Ohio
I can not get Kanaplex locally. I can get Maracyn I and Maracyn II - should I take the betta out and put into a seperate bowl or keep in aquarium. The tank has 2 Dwarf platties and 2 Ottos (which are healthy as all get out).

If I take betta out, does he need a filter, how much old water should I use?

Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store