Some of my Planted Ripariums

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Thanks, Really these are not the best pictures I just want to edit, archive and post them as documentation of what they look like. Yes, the Ludwigia has alternate leaves. Thanks for that determination.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
My Staurogyne sp. (probably ";low grow") plant has flowers on it. The first opened a few days ago.

Here is a closer view of the flower spike and little blooms.

I have this one going in my 20-gallon with a bunch of other stems. You can the Staurogyne there on the left. It's #2.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
The other night I took some time to get some shots of a real nice plant. This is an Anubias hastifolia that I had growing in my 55-gallon riparium setup.

It is a slow grower. It sprouts a new leaf only every 8 weeks or so. I have it growing in a riparium planter cup. I moved it out of the 55 because it was getting to be too big. I really like the shapes of the leaves and petioles.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
I have a shot here of another unusual plant, Cyrtospoerma johnstonii is originally from Southeast Asia. It has these wild leaves.

I have two little divisions of this plant that are growing well, albeit slowly, in riparium planters. The slow growth is advantageous, because mature specimens can be more than 4' tall. This one would make a nice centerpiece for a riparium setup with other Southeast Asia selections.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
I have a quick shot from my new 50-gallon setup

The background is a wrinkled white bed sheet--I just hung it up to try another different background color.

This image is a montage made with a shot at slower shutter speed, which I used to cut and paste the underwater area. This corrected for my camera's tendency to overemphasize glare and shadow.

arachnar

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Really beautiful tanks, the closest I got to a riparium was putting those really common vine plant cuttings in my tank and letting then extend their roots in.

What kind of rainbows are those?

Where do you get the planters?

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Hey thanks very much.

Those aren't rainbows, but they are shaped like rainbows and swim around in a similar way. They are Ilyodon furcidens (Goodeidae). I caught the original parental fish a few years ago in Mexico and I have had them going ever since. Here is a shot from one of them from after I got them into this tank a couple of weeks ago.

I. furcidens are great aquarium fish and I like them a lot.

Rainbows would be great in a setup like this one because it has a broad footprint with lots of room to swim around.

Those planters are available from Riparium Supply.

http://ripariumsupply.com.html

arachnar

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Oh, very cool fish there's probably so many native fishes in Mexico and America that would be great to keep.

Thanks for the link.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store