How do YOU acclimate fish? And for how long?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zastrus

Turtley enough for the Turtle Club?
Oct 11, 2006
Go Chargers Go, CA
I've been researching various modes of acclimating fish to a fishtank and was wondering how you guys do it. The guides online say to acclimate it by putting cup by cup of water for over an hour before you take it into your tank.. I looked all over the site but I'm not sure if this was for larger fish or for the smaller FW fish.

I have 3 fish in my tank right now, and I haven't acclimated them anywhere near that long.. I put the bag into the water and all for a bit to match temps, then I pour some of the water out of the bag, and add some tank water to the bag.. wait a few minutes, then poor all the water into my tank.. while trying to keep the feces from the new fish IN the bag..

I know my way was the newbie way, and it was probably a big shock to the fish, and I probably beat the odds by not getting any new illnesses from the LFS's water..

How do you acclimate your fish to your tank?

TropicalNorth

Bligh..The Demander Of Attention..
Jun 9, 2006
North Queensland, Australia
Well I spose it depends on the species, the more delicate the fish the longer the acclimatisation and the more hardy the shorter. Also the pH difference would have a lot to do with it too.

I usually float the bag for 10 mins, add around 100ml of tank water, wait another 10 mins, add more water etc etc. For my ottos I did this for about an hour and for less sensitive fish about 1/2 an hour. Never had a death yet.

Also I don't have a quaranteen tank because I trust my LFS. I've never had a diseased fish, ever. If you don't trust you LFS I would definately quaranteen.

is300zx

AC Members
Jan 1, 2006
this is one way to acclimate your fish. it's a slow process to make sure the fish don't go into shock because of big differences in ph. basically the fish are in the bucket with the lfs water. the bucket is inside the tank so the temp would be the same as the tank. the cup has a dripper which i think can be bought at the drip irrigation area of you hardware store. it slowly drips your tank water into the bucket at the same time aerating it so your fish have oxygen. when the ph in the bucket is the same as the ph of the tank then the fish can safely go in. this could take hours depending on how different the two ph are.

dripper.jpg

blue_soda025

AC Members
Sep 10, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I wash the bags before floating them for a few mins. Then I add some tank water every few mins and repeat a couple times, then finally I net the fish into the tank.

dabaers

AC Members
Aug 27, 2006
Everyone has given you good ideas for properly acclimating. The one thing I think needs to be said is you should never add water from the bag/LFS water into your tank.
When you are done adding tank water, net the fish out and add only the fish to your tank, preferably a QT tank to really make sure you don't add any sick fish to your main tank.

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
You can acclimmate fish by drip acclimation. I accomplish this by putting the fish and the tank water the fish came in into a bucket. Then I take a piece of airline tubing and put one end of it inside the tank and then I start a syphon and tie a knot in the tubing allowing the water to drip into the bucket. I cover most of the bucket so the temp will remain consistent in the bucket with the new fish. I let the drip go for as long as an hour or an hour and a half always checking on the new fish every few minutes to make sure that they are O.K. After this process, I net the fish and gently place them in the aquarium. Please make sure that it is just the fish that are going into the tank and not any of the tank water from the bucket. You do not want to risk any water from the LFS since you don't know what is in thier water.

Marinemom

coupedefleur

AC Members
Jul 25, 2006
NW Ohio
I use the drip method similar to Marinemom. For smaller fish, I've got one of those little critter-keeper plastic tanks with a lid. For large fish I use a water-changing bucket. Sometimes I only take 15 min or so, sometimes 1/2 hour or more. If I know what sort of water the fish are in I know how much they will need to adjust.

This method seems like a LOT less work, and it's what people do who get fish through the mail. Unlike floating the bags, there isn't a chance that the bag will upset and dump the fish and water directly into your tank.

If you use a small container you need to watch it so it doesn't overflow. I will sometimes set those critter keepers inside a bucket to catch any overflow. When there's only 1/2 cup of water in a bag, it doesn't go very far in the bottom of a bucket!

I would really suggest this method for a beginner- it's almost foolproof, very gradual, and you might as well have all the advantages you can get.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store