Marine - and so it begins

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

coolnicks

AC Members
Mar 23, 2007
And nice to see another UK Reefer on the boards...
How could you tell? :)

...."Nothing good happens quickly in this hobby".
Thats a good quote, something im very prepared for aswell. Im fully geared up to be waiting a month or few for the first fish!

Can't wait for the grand finale..:)
Will keep you guys updated on the progress!

I hope that if your doing a reef tank that it not fails you
I belive they are a good make, and lots of money, TMC vecton v2 400 skimmer if you want to look it up, I also have their UV units.

nice tank..how many gallons?
Me or OldManOfTheSea? Its 60L, so about 15gallons. I have other, bigger tanks I could move it into, but while I learn the ropes will keep it a bit smaller.

Should have water tommorow or saturday:headbang2:

coolnicks

AC Members
Mar 23, 2007
The setup in...PICTURES!

This was last night:

Measure up the salt...

Tank with the substrate added...

My live rock, 5kg in money, proberly a little more in weight

Upside down limpet?...

Some nice calcerous algae, if im right?...

All my live rock...

Tank half full...

Damit, salt level not even on scale, worked it out wrong...

Evey tank setup needs some good food, mmmm...

Yay, salt level better...

Get the skimmer going to remove dust from substrate...

Get the other power heads going...

Full tank shot, too blue/actinic...

Damit, look at the salt levels...
However fear not, my mate from LFS turned up...Hydrometer had bubbles on it!

And "Youve got live rock, what?"

Damit, should not have got live rock until tank was ready....

Need to keep stiring up the substrate for few days, get all the dust out, or it could block up the live rock. So live rock is in another tank with heater and power head for the time being.

:headbang2:

Bryce

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
I would advise to not use the skimmer yet. It is designed to remove proteins from the water not particulate. Just be patient and the cloudiness of the water will settle out in a few days.

coolnicks

AC Members
Mar 23, 2007
I would advise to not use the skimmer yet. It is designed to remove proteins from the water not particulate. Just be patient and the cloudiness of the water will settle out in a few days.
Indeed, one of the reason though, is the return from the skimmer, in the box to stop bubbles, ive got it full of filter wool, aswell as the external filter.

The water is clearing pretty quickly now, but I keep stiring it up to get rid of as much as possible before I put the LR in.

Could it damage the skimmer?

Also wouldnt the skimmer help to remove any ammonia created from any dead/dieing stuff in the live sand?

Bryce

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
It shouldn’t harm the skimmer. If anything the grit may shorten the life of the needle wheel pump used to pump water through the skimmer. Didn’t know you were using filter wool in the outtake box. That will indeed help with the cloudiness.

However, during the cycle phase of a new tank, you don’t want to remove the things that are going to create ammonia. Ammonia needs to be present so the nitrifying bacteria, that eats ammonia, will grow and multiply. Using the skimmer prior to having the cycle complete would hamper the process to some degree.

coolnicks

AC Members
Mar 23, 2007
Live rock is in, because it was sitting in a tank for a week with heater and powerhead, found some intresting little critters in the bottom of the tank.

There are loads of baby shrimps.

Is this a baby starfish, or some kind of sea spider?

Please excuse the skimmer powerhead.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store