driftwood/rocks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

phanizzle

AC Members
Jun 27, 2007
what are some nice rocks to get for a 20g Long? i like limestone but i heard that you need to go through alot to clean it..is this true? :help: .

also for driftwood how would i submerge the driftwood? how would i clean both rocks and driftwood? any reliable sites for nice rocks or driftwood..anybody around NJ/NYC area where they know a nice place for rocks or driftwood?

kr0nic

AC Members
Jul 2, 2007
Newcastle, Australia, NSW
Boiling water and a tooth brush should clean a piece of driftwood up fine to put into your tank. I think you can do a acid or somting test on rocks to see if there suitable for aquarium use. I think it involves pouring vinigar on them and if it bubbles its bad ?

UCF-Planted

AC Members
Apr 20, 2007
Orlando, FL
Vinegar may or may not bubble or foam on alkaline rocks. Better is a stronger acid, like Muratic acid, which can be found at almost any hardware store. If the rock is limestone though, and you know it for sure, no need to test, it will dissolve in water over time and raise the pH. Better is something like slate or granite which are both inert, chemically inactive. The acid test is a good way to know for sure.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"

Kev79x

AC Members
Feb 24, 2005
I just picked up some random rocks in my backyard and put them into my tank after I hosed em off. They work good, look nice enough for what I'm trying to accomplish. I never really thought about any kind of rocks harming my fish, I just checked em to see if anything was weird on them before I put them in

But then again I don't do a single thing right or recommended (usually do it before I learn the right way), but my tank is still doing awesome.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
I just got back from the city, and had been looking for manzanita branches for the paludarium I am building... found a great source for them, as well as some other assorted wood, beautiful selection... it was on 28th street between 6th and 7th avenue. her prices were really low compared to the fish store prices as well... I took a pic for you. it's blurry, but should help you ID the store front. It was called Dry & Silk

I'd definately figure out what woods you're ok with for your tank before going, I asked her a few questions, but once I mentioned fish tanks, she didn't know anything. I am sure what I got is fine, but saw a few NICE burls that were probably not ok for the tank...

PIC-0112.jpg

phanizzle

AC Members
Jun 27, 2007
cool,thanks for the info mellowvision. thanks for the replies guys.
my uncles have been telling me to go to pacific on delancy but i havent had the time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store