How big will my Shovelnose get?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mooseman

518 and counting!
Nov 27, 2002
Utah
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a Shovel Nose catfish for my tank (Sorubim Lima) I did a lot of research on this fish before I bought it but I am still confused about one thing due to that many opinions out there. How big will this fish get? I have heard everything from 10 inches because the imported ones do not grow too big anymore to over 19 inches. Does anyone know or does it depend on where it came from etc... and I should be prepared for anyting?

BTW - This thing has an appetite bigger than mine!

Thanks!

FishBait

triggerhappy
Nov 27, 2002
Wilmington, NC
Visit site
It's ultimate size will depend on water quality and a good diet. Though when I look for adult sizes of my fish, I look for measurements taken from wild specimens, and Sorubim lima can grow up to 20-24 inches.

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
Look for the fish to grow anywhere from 12-18" in captivity. They seem to grow fast, then slow down. I had one for a while that sat at the 13" mark for what seemed like forever. Apparently they enjoy the company of others and if I ever were to keep them again, I would go with 3.

ttl

Timmain42

Disturbed Quasi-Genius
Jan 4, 2002
D/FW, TEXAS
www.xmenclan.org
Let's no forget the importance of tank size here, folks. A school of Limas *would* probably be more content with their existence, but you you need a large tank (where the smallest dimension of the tank was 18") for them to reach any decent size.

I am currently setting up a tank system specifically for Limas, and the smallest dimension is 24". I have found through study that that even a good diet won't keep a Lima from stunting if the tank isn't big enough.

slimmouthopen.jpg

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
Timmain42,
I remember that picture from a while ago. Those fish are from two different locations correct? How large are they by now?

ttl

Timmain42

Disturbed Quasi-Genius
Jan 4, 2002
D/FW, TEXAS
www.xmenclan.org
Originally posted by tuthelimit
Timmain42,
I remember that picture from a while ago. Those fish are from two different locations correct? How large are they by now?

ttl
:(

This is where I state that I know from experience that you need a large tank to keep Limas, because these two fish haven't gotten any larger in almost a year. This was the biggest n00bie mistake I made with my favorite fish, and I plan on not ever repeating it again.

:(

And yes, they are from two different places. The one with "his" mouth open (I still can't sex them, maybe due to their shrunken size) is from Columbia, and the other from Venusula.

mokmu

AC Members
Jan 10, 2002
Singapore/Philippines
By the way, make sure that yoou basically have just one predator in your tank. Its growth will be slow if you have other predators in there.

I placed two of my Shovel noses with L. Marmoratus Marbles cats and the Marbles were just voracious eaters. The Shovel noses were completely outclassed in the eating department. All of them ised to be the same size but after around two months the Marbles were twice the size of the Shovels. My shovels had slowed down its growth. Its Shovel companions at the LFS (where the shovels were kept to their own tanks) had grown twice its size as well.

Dang marbles!

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
I don't know if they are stunted... or have just slowed way down. After 12" mine didn't seem to grow at all. You have beautiful fish by the way!!

So are you trying to get them a new tank, or get a few more and start again?

ttl

Timmain42

Disturbed Quasi-Genius
Jan 4, 2002
D/FW, TEXAS
www.xmenclan.org
Originally posted by tuthelimit
I don't know if they are stunted... or have just slowed way down. After 12" mine didn't seem to grow at all. You have beautiful fish by the way!!

So are you trying to get them a new tank, or get a few more and start again?

ttl
Probably a little of both, but I think it may be hopeless for the "little" ones, and if I keep them in a new, larger tank with younger Limas, there is a distinct possibility that the old fish will stunt the growth of the new fish.

I have a bit of a dilemma.... but I'll solve it, no worries. :D

I'm also taking "before and after" shots of the construction of the new tank system and the tank room of my new (!) house. When I get everything set up, I'll be posting pics.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store