HELP !! IS this normal Discus behavor

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
I just purchased 2 discus yesterday. One of them actually lays on his side (not on the bottom) and then will return upright.
I have watched him do this alot,and being new to this type of fish I'm not sure if I should be worried or not?
Also they come with a 48 hour warranty,which would be up tomorrow. If there is something wrong I would really like to know !

Thanks

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
is he just swimming around, at an angle?

A little,but I would not really call it swimmimg. Maybe more like just floating/drifting for awhile.
But last night(1st day) I noticed him just laying sideways under a palm tree decoration and the other Discus was upright underneath him. In the AM all lopoked fine. Then I noticed him kinda laying horizontal a little more. He always seems to upright himself,but knowing as little about this species as I do I am a little worried.

magb321

If you're going, go
Jan 12, 2006
Mty, Mexico
That's normal behavior when they are getting used to the tank, what are the stats (ph, gh, temp, kh) on your tank?

Is he turning black?

Salute

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
That's normal behavior when they are getting used to the tank, what are the stats (ph, gh, temp, kh) on your tank?

Is he turning black?

Salute

PH = 7.8
Temp is 80 degrees
I really do not know the kh or gh

No he is not turning black...What would that mean?
Also I just noticed the pair going from the bottom to the top side bye side..

P.S..As far as the black. The blue discus does look black at times,but I really think it is the way the light hits him.But he /she is not the one turning on it's side.
I am glad to hear it may be possible they are just checking their new surroundings. They are in a tank with quite a few different species
(which I was told was OK)

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
bump your temp up. Discus thrive on warmer water I keep mine at 84 younger discus even warmer(they are fine at 88)..80 is the cool end.

my small discus will hide under objects and in caves..but normally they are upright.
keep an eye on them.(they may drift sideways when sleeping)

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
Thanks for all the insight.
I know Discus like warmer water,but was afraid it might be to hot for the other fish.

I might have to think about another tank in the very near future.
Is 80 degrees something the Discus can tolerate?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
80 is what I would consider the very low end of the scale..keep an eye on the discus..make sure they keep vibrant colors and they should eat well.

if they start to look lethargic..i wouold bump the temp up a couple degrees.

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
80 is what I would consider the very low end of the scale..keep an eye on the discus..make sure they keep vibrant colors and they should eat well.

if they start to look lethargic..i wouold bump the temp up a couple degrees.
Thanks !!

I do have a little perdiciment though.
These Discus are in a Community tank. Their tankmstes would not be fond of water temps in the low to mid 80,s.
I just went back to the store where I purchased them and their tank was only 78 degrees :huh:
This is a new store and they did tell me to either keep an eye on this fish or return it,whatever I feel more comfortable with ! I like that kind of business

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store