Ghost Shrimp with eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bearskookum

AC Members
Jan 18, 2007
In my shrimp tank(with 3 ghost shrimp, 12 cherry shrimp, 3 otos)...I noticed my biggest Ghost Shrimp molted in the morning and later in the afternoon I saw her belly was big. After an hour or two...I checked again and this time the eggs were visible...I guess it turned from clear to green.
I read ghost shrimp babies come out as larval stage/planktonic stage before changing into mini ghost shrimps? How small are these larvae(microscopic?), would the sponge on my filter intake stop them from getting sucked in? Also I was wondering if I should move her somewhere else? I dont know if my cherry shrimp would feast on the ghost shrimp larvae/babies?

LiveMermaid07

Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.
Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
Congrats!

When they first hatch they are nearly microscopic, but if you're lucky with a bright flashlight sometimes you can find them. They will be shaped like tiny triangles - no legs. I don't remmber how long it takes before they get legs, but they can 'jump' out of the they if the sense someting nearby.

I've read that (I think, but wont' swear to) a sponge over the intake will be enough.
I don't know if cherry shrimps would eat them or not, I know the other way around, the ghost shrimps would try to eat the cherries fry.

Do you have any fish in the tank too?
(Other than the otos, I don't THINK they will eat fry, but they do like my beta flakes w brine shrimp...)

It might be best to move the prego one just in case to a nice bucket or something with just an airstone till the fry get bigger. Move the mom out once all the eggs are gone or she'll eat them!
Bare bottom, with a little aglea or some small plants, (unless you going to buy special food. To my knowledge, they eat the 'bugs' that eat decaying plant matter, so in the 3ish weeks it will take to hatch if you have some plants in there and leaave a little aglea, they should have enough to eat.)
Change about 10% of water a day to keep it nice and clean.
Hope this helps! Good luck!

Note,
even with all those eggs don't be disapointed if only one or so make it past 6 months. I think that's why they have so many eggs at once.
:)

LiveMermaid07

Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.
Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
ooops! I just saw that says '07!

LOL! My bad!

lolol

pbmax

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
Olympia, WA
From what I've read, you need a lot of micro-nutrients (plankton, single-cell algae, etc.) in your water for the ghost shrimp larvae to survive. Green water may help with this, but if you have a clean tank with clear water it's unlikely any of the larvae will survive.

I wouldn't mind being wrong, though :)

bearskookum

AC Members
Jan 18, 2007
ooops! I just saw that says '07!

LOL! My bad!

lolol
Hey no problem! I reply to old threads too...unfortunately they didnt hatch...I forgot but I think she just dropped the eggs and I never did see any baby shrimp...and eventually I lost all my ghost shrimp.
I now have cherry shrimp tank. I also just started back with guppies and also some white cloud minnows..
I wanna find some Red crystal shrimp but dont know if anyone is selling them...

Alec2cool

AC Members
Feb 18, 2010
Central Indiana
Real Name
Alec
If you live near central indiana. The Uncle Bills super petstore sells red crystals, cherrys, algae-eating, and Jimano shrimp. Ive even seen the rare Viper shrimp in there big tanks they have for the discus. Im talking about the uncle bills in noblesville but i think they sell the same fish like petsmart does

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store