Ghost Shrimp Has eggs, what to do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mantis_22

Blue Dreams Webmaster
Mar 24, 2003
Somerset, KY
www.blueskyff.s5.com
Hey everyone, today I just got 2 ghost shrimps for my 10gl. One is a male and the other is a female. I see these yellow bubbly little balls in the females body which indicates to me eggs. Where does this specie usually lay their eggs at? I have some breeding grass I bought yesterday just in case i might need it in the future but im not too sure how to go about this? can someone help me out?? :confused:

K_S_W_I_S_S

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Needles, CA
www.picturetrail.com
the shrimp i had (not sure what kind they are, my brother caught them at the river and brought them home) had eggs... at first the started out in their stomach, then they laid them and they held them on their belly ( with all their legs) and when they are ready to hatch, they swim around a lot until they hacth and then the baby shrimp float around (with their head down) until they find something to hold on to.... do you have any other fish in there?? i think any fish could and would eat the baby shrimp.. i had mine alone in a 10g with plants....

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
They'll be toast. Any fish will eat them. If you want to try raising them, they'll need to be in a species only tank with lots of established macro-fauna to feed the hatchlings.

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
I think KSWISS put a jar of water out in the sun to create green water algae for just this purpose. I wonder how it worked out? PM her and ask her.

Mantis_22

Blue Dreams Webmaster
Mar 24, 2003
Somerset, KY
www.blueskyff.s5.com
taht brings up a good idea. I have a few days till she releases the fry (Eggs are still yellowish, not black). What mainly causes algae? Heat and light I understand (The sun most importantly) My lake has alot of green algae, could that work for a temporary solution in a jar for the fry and have it aerated? Then once the mother has layed the eggs in the jar remove her back into the tank? (And yes I will keep it at a constant temperature)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store