Utter Plant n00b...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kyohti

Curiouser and Curiouser...
Jan 5, 2007
Northeastern Oklahoma
Hello.

I had a plant years ago in a 20 gallon community tank. It died a miserable death, like many plants I tried to keep in my tanks as a kid, so I stopped keeping live plants and never bothered again.

But since I've been lurking around here and seeing all these beautiful waterscapes, I'm tempted to give live ones a try again. The only tank I have that would support them right now would be my 10-gallon set up (see my sig). I have no interest in growing java moss.

What do you suggest as good beginner plants that don't need a lot of maintenance? Temp stays around 80-84 F, pH is 7.8-8.0, and I couldn't tell you if the water is hard or soft.

Halibass

AC Members
Jan 17, 2007
Southern CA
I'm not a plant expert, but you'll get better help if you let people know what type of lighting, what type of substrate (and depth), and what type of fish you have in the tank.

skeletonhand

Landscaper Extraordinaire
Sep 9, 2006
Lincoln, NE
Java ferns, Anacharis, Anubius nana, and crypts. They are easy to grow and need relatively low light. Should grow well in a 10 gallon, even with 15 watt full spectrum light.

Kyohti

Jan 5, 2007
Northeastern Oklahoma
Lighting: Basic hood setup from Wal-Mart with the fluorescents it came with. Sorry, I don't have any more depthful information than that. It's really bright, though.

Substrate: Its a mixed gravel from one of my aunt's old aquariums... 90% could be described as a fine gravel or a very coarse sand mix. The other 10% is some metallic turqois gravel my cousin dumped in the tank from his little hexagon that was never sorted out of it. Depth of about an inch and a half, I'd say.

Fish: 1 Cory, though I intend to get her an albino boyfriend and then add 4 reticulated cories and perhaps some Kerri Tetras... which also means I'll be softening the water down to about 7.4-7.6 or so.

Kyohti

Jan 5, 2007
Northeastern Oklahoma
Java ferns, Anacharis, Anubius nana, and crypts. They are easy to grow and need relatively low light. Should grow well in a 10 gallon, even with 15 watt full spectrum light.
Hate to be thick-headed... but perhaps suggestions could be accompanied with photographs or growth stats? Not that I don't mind doing some research... but I have to admit I'm still very doubtful of growing and maintaining my own live plants and I'd love to have something to reference.

Helps to get me motivated, if that makes any sense.

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
A standard fluorescent hood on a 10g holds a 15w fluorescent light, not alot of light but should be able to grow a few plants.

Go to www.plantgeek.net and look up the following plants in their guide:

Anubias (there are alot of variety, almost any will work)
Java fern
Cryptocoryne wendtii
hornwort
anacharis

Kyohti

Jan 5, 2007
Northeastern Oklahoma
Hmmm... I guess I should start asking around and see if anyone has any spare plants around the Forums, eh? :D

I never thought I'd get excited about the possibility of having live plants...

Kyohti

Jan 5, 2007
Northeastern Oklahoma
Is it better to buy from private owners or to buy from pet stores? I don't want any diseases in my plants. Any advice?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store