Yellow Tang turning red

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

scooterB

AC Members
Apr 27, 2003
Houston
Visit site
:eek: I have a Yellow Tang and His skin is Turning red in some areas. He doesn't act sick or in pain. Has anyone seen this or have any suggestions?
Thank you

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
This is usually indicative of a problem with water quality - have you tested everything recently? Tell us where you stand on ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, specific gravity, pH, and temp.

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
The last person who posted about this problem was nopatience. I'm sure some of you remember that thread. Anyway, I was actually intrigued by this problem so I did some reading about it, and found that it is usually caused by some problem in water quality or diet. Specifically, is your tang getting enough vitamin C?

However, there is another possibility as to the cause. Stray voltage. The source I was reading said that in several cases, an improperly grounded heater or frayed wire insulation was actually arcing voltage through the water. Now, water itself does not conduct electricity, but salt does. Hence, SW carries the voltage into the next available ground (the fish).

There has been a really big problem with stray voltage from old power lines in Wyoming and Montana causing cattle several problems. The most serious was that female's udders began swelling and exploding for no apparent reason. Another symptom was a red coloration on the cows (sound familiar?)

Anyway, no one at my LFS has ever heard of this, and there is only one source that I have ever read that mentions stray voltage as a cause of illness. I just wanted to bring up an alternate answer. It is probably water quality or diet related, seeing as how tangs have stricter eating requirements than Kate Moss.

scooterB

AC Members
Apr 27, 2003
Houston
Visit site
thanks for the response

I am a beginner at SW, therefore it very well could be the water quality or the diet. Can either of you suggest a good brand of food for tangs? and water tester? He munches on the algae on the walls and inanimate objects. Also I do have an old heater that could possible be transmitting stray voltage. I actually read the thread from nopatience. For a noitall he/she sure does post a lot of threads asking for help. Then insulting yall. Thanks again for the advice.:)

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
Someone feel free to jump in and correct me if I'm wrong here, but what your tang has sounds like it could be a couple of things.

1. If the red coloration is in a uniform line running latterally across the fish, then it may have lateral line erosion.

2. If your tang has red discoloration in patches on different parts of his body, it sounds like it might be a bacterial infection.

To test your water quality, I would suggest you get a test kit from your Local Fish Store (LFS). Laborette makes a good kit that tests for ammonia, nitrite, and PH, and is very easy to use. There are many other test kits available, as well. Try to find one that also tests for nitrates. Your ammonia and nitrites should both be zero, your PH should be about 8.0 to 8.4, and your specific gravity should be between 1.022 and 1.025.

If you are able to locate a good test for nitrates (I still haven't found one), then they should be below 20. This is a pipe dream according to most of the literature I have, which states that readings of 50 are more likely in the real world. Water changes are the best way to reduce accumulated nitrates.

For the tang's diet, I would add some dried seaweed to the tank. I have a clip that attaches to the inside wall of the tank which holds the seaweed, and my tang grazes at his leisure. I use vitamin C enriched dried seaweed (I forget the brand name, it costs $5.49).

All in all, don't feel bad. A tang is a tough fish to care for, especially for a beginner. I had a yellow tang as one of my first fish. It was gorgeous, but died from Black Spot disease. Turns out that I wasn't supplementing his diet properly. With the dried seaweed, I haven't had any problems.

scooterB

AC Members
Apr 27, 2003
Houston
Visit site
exactly

That is exactly what it looks like, except alot more red. Yesterday I went out and bought marine labs ph, nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, and alkaline testers. All the levels seemed quite OK. I also bought some seaweed for the Tang. Any other suggestions?
Thanks

Boogiechillin

Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
Can you post the water parameters that you found with your new test kit? Also, how big is this tank? What kind of seaweed did you buy it?

-BC

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
If I might jump ahead here, Boogie, what the heck does that tang in the picture have?

Boogiechillin

Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
Originally posted by kreblak
If I might jump ahead here, Boogie, what the heck does that tang in the picture have?
Petecchial, which is a fancy way of saying "bloody body and fin streaking." This isn't a parasitic or bacterial thing, but usually just a result of poor water quality that causes minor injuries ranging from outright ammonia burns to minor scratches and injuries that won't heal. Think of it as a raw, fishy rash. Get the water quality in shape, give it enough space, and get it on a good diet enriched with vitamins and the streaks will heal on their own. (This isn't a tang-specific thing, BTW, it just shows up very vividly on a solid yellow body).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store