Yellow Tang Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
I made a trip to the pet store the other day and found they had 2 small tangs (probably 2" in length). These poor guys were stuck in a 10gl tank full of clown fish. I felt bad for it, so I decided to take one home, as it is still small and it would stand a better chance here then at the pet store when some 5 year old kid wants it instead of a gold fish. Most people have seen that happened, not knowing the fish was saltwater..and so on.

Anyway, I am curious on how long it takes a yellow tang to reach its full size? It's currently in a 56gl tank, which is a lot better than the 10gl pet store one. I hope it's okay in this for now, considering it is small, and it's only buddies are a cleaner shrimp, a false percula, and a blue devil damsel (plus some inverts..snails+hermits). I do know they need more space, but I'm just hoping to keep it for some time and maybe I'll trade it in and get another small one and raise it.

USCavalry19d

AC Members
Oct 27, 2005
Lexington, ky
Honestly i dont know for sure how long it takes for a yellow tang to mature, however, they do seem to grow pretty fast. Well, mine did. I have had mine in a 55 gal tank now for about 2 years and he seems happy. I am however getting ready to stick him in a larger tank, 125 gallons to be exact. The tang should be perfectly happy in your 56 gal tank. just be sure he has alot of rock work to swim through such as caves and such. hope this helps.

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
I hope he is happy, I know I would be if someone took me out of an overstocked 10 gal and put me into something bigger, and emptier. I guess in a year from now he'll be full size then, which isn't too bad.

RothChyld

AC Members
Feb 16, 2003
Tampa, FL
www.cboss.com
Please make sure you supplement its diet with algae. They will pick on the rock and get some algae that way however I would supplement with nori (green seaweed) and I would also use a garlic supplment to avoid ich which tangs have been known to get.

Good luck!

Mike

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store