my balloon molly died

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

anaerobe

Neppy4evrrr
Mar 18, 2006
='( Sad day today, I came back from class and noticed my balloon molly on the aquarium floor in the crab's cave. I was moving the java moss around and I thought he might be scared of the turkey baster, but he normally does not care as long he as he can find something good to eat. Then I looked closer and he was upside down... I used the turkey baster to move him away from the crab (she eats dead fish) and noticed he was dead ='(

Here's my question... does anyone know the cause of his death? My only clue is that he was sunk to the bottom of the aquarium, upside-down. He looks completely perfect, the fins, coloration, body. In the morning, I gave him and the danio freeze-dried bloodworms and Nutrafin betta flake food. I've never fed them the latter before, and I'm wondering if the betta food could be poisonous to him? I also doubt it's "old age" because we only had him for a couple weeks (I got him on Valentine's day). He is only about 1 inch big, and thogh Balloon mollies have a lifespan of ~1 year, I doubt it's b/c of old age.
I miss him very much, I always wanted a balloon molly and he's so absolutely adorable! my danio loves him, he got much happier and fatter, and they chase eachother around when they're not rubbing on eachother.

Hellen4

AC Members
Feb 27, 2007
I feel your sadness. My dreamcycle mollie ( baloon Bellied mollie) is sick & I don't know what to do. She is old & is geting bumps on her. I'm afraid I am going to lose her.Its so sad to lose a friend.

Last edited:

ladydelaware55

AC Members
Jul 22, 2012
Delaware
Real Name
Laurie
One of my balloon mollies died during the night last night..:( I'm very sad even though I have only had this type of fish for about a month. I bought a new filter and set it up Friday. It works much better than the old one I had. My water is fine, tested with API test kit. She was chubby like she might be pregnant. Could she just have been fat and overeating?
I have a 20 high tank with just 5 balloon mollies, a rainbow, and a pleco.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store