no stupid questions???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

g. mcclean

AC Members
Mar 26, 2003
new jersey
Visit site
I am taking you all on your word that the only stupid question is one that is not asked, so here goes. I have a 46 gallon set-up and do a 5 gallon water change every week. I know that eventually I will need to add more than that. My question is ---is there an easy way to get 5 gallons(or More) of saltwater into the tank? I cannot lift that much water to the height necessary to add it to the tank. Presently i siphon some into a smaller container that I am able to lift. Is there an easier way. I would love to start a larger tank( possibly a 100 gallon) but this seems to be a major drawback. Thanks for not chuckling!!

BrianH

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Oakland, NJ
photos.yahoo.com
I use a powerhead. I have a cheap cap powehead(can't remember the model) that I have hooked up to about 4 feet of gardern hose. I just put it in the container with the new SW, put the other end of the hose in my tank, and then plug in the power head. It takes about 1 minute to pump in 5 gallons.

Brian

Corax

Temporarily risen from the dead..
Nov 14, 2001
I'd modify one thing in Brian's suggestion, and that is the use of garden hose. Some hose is not safe to use with fish due to the hose being treated with anti-mildew agents. I would suggest you get pond hosing instead. Otherwise, he's right on the money =)

votek

AC Members
Feb 20, 2003
New York
Visit site
You might wana try this too...

Get a cheap little 10g tank. Set it up with a heater and powerhead or something to circulate the water. Use that tank to match your 46 gallon tank's watter/salinity. Then just use a pitcher to transfer the water.

You can set this up before you get ready to do a water change so you have time to adjust everything.

This method will be cheap. Probably 20$ for the 10g, and you can hide the tank out of the way.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If you have a canister filter, you can use it--setup the incoming side to be removable easily, then stick it in the larger bucket of new water. We have a sump below our system, and a tank that gravity drains the new water into the sump (but we do cahnges of 65 gallons).

g. mcclean

AC Members
Mar 26, 2003
new jersey
Visit site
stupid question responses

:) Thanks so much for your responses ( and not a chuckle among you ) I knew there must be an easier way. I will definitely give them a try. My back thanks you too.

karlas

AC Members
Feb 18, 2003
groups.msn.com
my way may sound like a little more work but i siphon the water out with a tube from the gravel vacuum i had for my freshwater tank. i have a 75 and i use 2 buckets for my water about 5 gall a piece. then to put the water in the tank i use a pitcher like you would have in your fridge for icetea, coolaid and just dip it out of the bucket until the bucket is easy to pick up then dump the rest in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store