Adjusting PH

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

m007

m007
Jan 4, 2007
Toronto, Canada
So after calibrating my PH monitor it is giving me a reading of 7.45 (so much for the test kit which indicated 8.2). My question is how fast should I adjust it to 8.4? I have been buffering since Sunday following the directions on the bottle and today I'm at 7.86 Every thing appears normal exept for the clams. They are not happy at all. Have I been moving too fast?:help:

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
If you have clams, or anything else that is more sensitive than normal, I would adjust very slowly. Maybe only add buffer every other day??

m007

m007
Jan 4, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Thank you sooooooooooo much. That was a very informative article. I suggest everyone keeping a reef give it a read. Can't wait to test out his theories on my tank.:) :) :) :)

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
Nov 29, 2002
ST.Louis Area
Visit site
You need to test for more than pH and not completely trust the monitor. Monitors of all types and controllers for that matter can and will give false readings at times. I mention this so that you are aware that at times the monitor can be wrong.

Please test for the following before ever adding anything to the tank.

1. pH 8.2-8.4
2.Calcium 420ppm-500ppm
3.Alkalinity 2.5-4.0(I prefer 3.5meq/l)
4.Magnesium 1300ppm
5.Salinity 1.024-1.026 s.g.

These all work in unison and stay pretty balanced. If one is low then there will be a problem with another. With RO/DI water(which I recommend) and a quality salt mixed at the proper salinity should give you the appropriate readings you seek. I am interested in what the other parameters are.

Germanman

My fish are my babies
You need to test for more than pH and not completely trust the monitor. Monitors of all types and controllers for that matter can and will give false readings at times. I mention this so that you are aware that at times the monitor can be wrong.

Please test for the following before ever adding anything to the tank.

1. pH 8.2-8.4
2.Calcium 420ppm-500ppm
3.Alkalinity 2.5-4.0(I prefer 3.5meq/l)
4.Magnesium 1300ppm
5.Salinity 1.024-1.026 s.g.

These all work in unison and stay pretty balanced. If one is low then there will be a problem with another. With RO/DI water(which I recommend) and a quality salt mixed at the proper salinity should give you the appropriate readings you seek. I am interested in what the other parameters are.
magnesium and hardness/ALK directly influence the ph as well as strontium so those are the most important when figuring out if the monitor is working right. i test all 3 and compare the monitor reading to them as well as a liquid ph test and if all checks out i know its all good.

rayjay

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
www.angelfire.com
Where did you get the info that Strontium affects pH? I haven't come across any writing on that subject.
Strontium is not even a normally added trace in most tanks other than those the LFS has convinced needs it. (more dollars in their pockets)
I've never even tested for it in my 13 yrs and 10 systems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store