Tangs in a 30 gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rockethippo

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Yukon Territory, Canada
Is there a specie of tang that will survive in a 30 gallon? Thanks for replies:) It's okay if they're isn't

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
Nope. Tangs need open space for swimming.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
For long term care (from purchase to death of old age) the minumum of any tang is atleast 75g. 30g would work only short term (about a year at the most) for a smaller species wich is purchased at about 2 inches. However, I wouldn't recomend buying a fish that gets too big for your tank unless you've already got the money saved up for the larger tank, too many things can happen in the space of a year wich would make a larger tank out of your reach.

rockethippo

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Yukon Territory, Canada
Okay, thanks :) Also there is brown stuff on the left side of my tank. Yesterday it there was a bit on the sand. Today theres a bit more on the sand and ome growing on the LR. Its only on the left side....for now... Maybe need circulation there? Need pics?

rockethippo

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Yukon Territory, Canada
Actually theres a bit on all the live rock. Just more on the left side. Theres also a tad bit on the glass

rockethippo

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Yukon Territory, Canada
Also should I keep the skimmer on when I'm still cycling? Atnixion ( I thinks thats his name. With the "Nemo fan" avatar) said in a post it doesn't slow down the cycle, but it doesn't do anything. I would search , but it doesn't work. Just making sure, Thanks.

rockethippo

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Yukon Territory, Canada
ALSO

Also I have 10x turnover, which I think is enough right?

drobes

AC Members
Jan 23, 2007
Colorado
Here's a nifty article I came across recently that matches tangs to their appropriate minimum tank size. Pretty useful when looking for stocking ideas. <cut and paste below>

Which tangs for What size of Tank
1. Tangs are not good choices for newly set up aquaria. To thrive they need a stable environment with pristine water conditions. Anyone thinking their newly set up aquarium is stable is invited to read through the following thread:
Maturity Issues

2. Tangs are medium to large, active fish that need plenty of space. On the question of tank sizes, we defer to Scott W. Michael, who recommends the following minimum sizes in Marine Fishes, 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species, Microcosm Ltd., 1999:

1. Acanthurus achilles, Achilles Surgeonfish, 100 gal (380l).
2. Acanthurus coeruleus, Atlantic Blue Tang, 75 gal (285l).
3. Acanthurus japonicus, Powder Brown Tang, 75 gal (285l).
4. Acanthurus leucosternon, Powder Blue Tang, 100 gal (380l).
5. Acanthurus lineatus, Lined or Clown Surgeonfish, 180 gal (680l).
6. Acanthurus nigricans, Whitecheek Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l).
7. Acanthurus olivaceus, Orangeshoulder Surgeonfish, 135 gal (510l).
8. Acanthurus pyroferus, Mimic Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l).
9. Acanthurus sohal, Sohal Surgeonfish, 180 gal (680l).
10. Acanthurus tristegus, Convict Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l).
11. Acanthurus tristis, Indian Mimic Surgeonfish, 75 gal (285l).
12. Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis, Chevron Tang, 100 gal (380l).
13. Ctenochaetus strigosus, Kole's Tang, 75 gal (285l).
14. Naso brevirostris, Spotted Unicornfish, 180 gal (685l).
15. Naso lituratus, Orangespine Unicornfish or Naso Tang, 135 gal (510l).
16. Naso unicornis, Bluespine Unicornfish, 200 gal (760l).
17. Paracanthurus hepatus, Pacific Blue Tang, 100 gal (380l).
18. Zebrasoma desjardinii, Indian Ocean or Red Sea Sailfin Tang, 135 gal (510l).
19. Zebrasoma flavescens, Yellow Tang, 75 gal (285l).
20. Zebrasoma scopas, Brown Tang, 75 gal (285l).
21. Zebrasoma veliferum, Sailfin Tang, 135 gal (510l).
22. Zebrasoma xanthurum, Purple Tang, 100 gal (380l).

You will note that none of these minimum sizes are less than 75 gallons. If you have a tang in a smaller tank, you should expect that some people will give you a hard time about it. Expressing outrage about that could result in suspension of your posting privileges. We are not, BTW, giving a free pass to the self-styled "Tang Police" to be abusive.

3. The above sizes assume a standard rectangular shape with plenty of open swimming space. If your tank is full to the brim with coral, your tang won't be happy. Tanks 125G or larger are assumed to be at least six feet long (approx. two meters). Where possible, choose longer rather than deeper shapes. While smaller species may be OK in a four foot tank, they will probably do better in a five foot or longer tank.

4. We do not condone the practice of keeping more than one specimen of the same or very similar species together in the same aquarium, except possibly for Zebrasoma species in a very large tank.

5. If you wish to keep multiple dissimilar tangs in the same aquarium, we recommend you have an aquarium significantly larger than the sizes listed above.

rockethippo

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Yukon Territory, Canada
Hmm.... the LFS has a powerder blue tang in a.. 10-15 gallon tank w/ a goby I think. They said they would sell it soon. I don't plan on getting tangs unless I get a bigger tank:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store