German Blue Ram

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ecal468

Newb
Mar 7, 2007
South Florida
Hello. I am new to the forum, and I think I need some help. I have recently acquired a 45 gallon tank and plan on putting in a few different kinds of fish. The most important that I want to incorporate is the Blue Ram. At the LFS the only type they have are the hybrid "balloon" type mixed in with some regular ones it seems. I want 3 "true" blue rams and was wondering if anybody would risk buying them at the LFS or I was planning on ordering them from www.liveaquaria.com. I also want to put 2 angels and 2 dwarf gouramis. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! The LFS also has upside down catfish which seem pretty interesting.....and I've read they stay pretty small.......

mandy-2007

AC Members
Feb 3, 2007
Australia, NSW
well i have angels, gouramis and blue rams in a 160 gallon tank with discus and testras and catfish and they are all fine :)

Cathy G

Bolivians Rock
Jan 15, 2006
Wisconsin USA
www.cathygeier.com
Hi,
I'd get them online when the weather warms up, you'll get healthier fish. I assume liveaquaria guarantees the fish, but won't reimburse the shipping charges - this is par for course. If you go to aquabid.com you'll find the same thing. You might also check local fish clubs to see if there is a breeder closer to you...

Cathy
P.S. Rams like warm water, they really do best at least at 82. Have you checked the temps for gouramis? I thought they like things a little cooler... the angels will do just fine though.

ecal468

Newb
Mar 7, 2007
South Florida
Thank you for your quick replies! I have read some differing opinions for water temp regarding the Blue Rams and the Gouramis. I have read anywhere from 75-82 for the Rams and 74-80 for the Gouramis. Can anyone clarify this?

ecal468

Newb
Mar 7, 2007
South Florida
I have a 45 gallon tank and the dimensions are roughly 36 X 12 X 23. I am having trouble finding fake plants that can fill up the top part of the tank. I have seen some for 18" tall, but is that the highest? Also, does anyone have any stocking suggestions?

Cathy G

Bolivians Rock
Jan 15, 2006
Wisconsin USA
www.cathygeier.com
Angels and rams would work, but seriously, that temp needs to be up there - 82 at least. You could add tetras if you didn't go with angels, you could also add endlers live bearers, pencil fish. And, you might check out keyholes. See if someone here thinks Severums would work with rams - I don't know but whenever I see the Sevs they are not scrounging around the bottom like the rams.

Oh, I assume you are going to have standard aquarium lighting and that it will be rather low? You might try seeing if you can find a full spectrum bulb and float real plants - Hornwort for example. You could also buy annubias and java fern and rubber band them to driftwood. (They will attach in time and the rubberbands will fall apart and get removed)

Cathy
P.S. Discus would work with rams too...

ecal468

Newb
Mar 7, 2007
South Florida
:dive:I have just set up my new tank and I want to include a pic for comments/suggestions. It has 3 rams, about 1/2 an inch in size, 2 angel fish, about 3/4 of an inch long and 5 cherry barbs.

Picture 014 (Large).jpg

These are two of my Rams!

Picture 015 (Large).jpg

Picture 017 (Large).jpg

Picture 015 (Large).jpg Picture 014 (Large).jpg Picture 017 (Large).jpg

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Heed Cathy's advice..rams should be in water atleast 82.
they do well with discus and or angels.
youer set up looks good..I hope it is cycled and has a good established filter.

ecal468

Newb
Mar 7, 2007
South Florida
Thanks for all the great comments! I do have another question....What should I be feeding in this tank? As of now I have Omega One Super Color for Tropical Fish and sinking Oscar Grow Cichlid Pellets from HBH. The angelfish and cherry barbs eat off the top with the flakes and the rams get the sinking pellets and the flakes that eventually sink down. They will NOT eat from the top! Is that OK? How often should I feed the tank and how much? A few pinches of the flakes and a few pellets for each ram that sink to the bottom? Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store