Sebae eating Bristleworm and dieing?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
Noticed my sebae anemone was looking grey and crappy earlier today. Nothing else in the tank was bothered. The halides came on and I noticed a large bristleworm going in the mouth. The edges of this anemone look pretty bad, but the mouth part looks o.k. Will the bristleworm kill the anemone or the other way around. Anybody else have an anemone eat a bristle this size. Full length it's probably about 5" by the width of it. Should I try to remove it or will I do more harm?

thanks,
Tom

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
i would say remove it if its not inside the mouth of nem...if it in, i would be hesitant on removing it, as we dont want to cause any potential damage to the nem...

Niko
I appreciate the quick reply, Niko. You always come through, Man. Is the anemone strong enough to digest this thing? Right now, it's almost all the way in the mouth and not moving(the bristleworm). Is it the battle of the sting, cause this bristleworm was one of my largest based on the thickness.

Thanks again,
Tom

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
Major Battle!

It's gettin' bad. The worm stung the crap out of my clown and he keeps going in for more. He's got barbs all over the place including his eyes. Now only the tip of the worm is sticking out of the anemone and it looks like it's starting to flake off it's skin, unless that's the anemone's skin.

I tried to get it out of there, but the anemone curled up around the tongs. Nothing to do now but wait. I should've filmed it.

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
the worms dont really attack something unless it has the small of death the color change in the nem shows that. id recommend removing it to a refugum or some sort of isolation box and maybe setting a trap to get rid of some of the worms...seems like they are running outa food.
I agree with you on the worms. I set a trap yesterday and caught only one. Luckily the anemone survived and while it still looks crappy, it's fully open again. I seriously think it ate the worm. Possible? There was a lot of grey skin that looked just like the worm near the end of the evening. The last I saw of the worm, it was just a tip in the mouth of the anem and writhing around.

Hope it's over. The trap goes in again tonight.
Thanks,
Tom

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
they have pretty strong digestive juices so its probable that it at the worm its just not a fun thing to eat.
I had to laugh at that one. No truer words were ever spoken...I bet it wasn't fun at all. It looked painful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store