Plants are turning black and rotting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

brazenhead

AC Members
Sep 12, 2006
WV
Hello everybody,

I have a problem I would like you guys to give me advice on and or help me out with. I have a 46 gallon bowfront with flourite as a substrate. I have 2.0 wpg and dose seachem flourish and excel along with diy co2. I started the tank over 2 months ago and planted with several different kinds of plants. Wisteria, ludwegia, 2 swords, 2 rotala indica and an unknown plant. The first months growth was unbelievable. At one point the swords would pearl every evening. The wisteria is taking over the tank and I have to cut it back weekly. The rotala grew great and now is slowly turning black and rotting. The ludwegia also grew like crazy and then slowly rotted. My question is.. what is going on? Is the wisteria growing so good that it is taking all the ferts out of the water before the other plants can utilize them? Do I need to add other ferts? My water tests are great. I have a low fish load. I have a filstar xp3 for a filter. Any information or advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
Yep, it seems like the plants have taken all the nutrients out of the water and what you are using is not making up the difference. Read Rex's guide, it is straight forward and easy to understand. When you decide to order ferts I reccommend going with Greg Watson. He sell dry chemicals which will last you well over a year. It will save you a ton of money in the long run. Rex's page also talks about Tom Barr's Estimative Index. This is a very simple way to dose your tank and you should read up on that too.

fresh_newby

Resident Plant Freakshow
Mar 5, 2006
NYC
my question to you is....are you sure your plants are aquatic? I am seeing a rash of bog plants on here that some places are selling as aquatic so that may be an issue too. Can you list your plants or show pics?

EDIT: ok nevermind I see you have aquatics lol
next idea...lack of macro nutrients

Last edited:

brazenhead

AC Members
Sep 12, 2006
WV
Thanks for the info. I will check your link out rex. All the plants are aquatic, I buy them from a reputable store in Pittsburgh, PA. I will also check out greg watson. Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store