Black Neon Tetras and Amano Shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Emil

AC Members
Aug 3, 2006
A couple of days ago I bought eleven black neon tetras. Three Amano shrimp had the tank all to themselves before then. The tetras are eating well and have seemingly adjusted well, although they seem a bit hyper. One thing in particular that they're doing is observing the shrimp from up close. I have been keeping a keen eye on them and they have not harmed the shrimp, but they do get close. Yet now the shrimp seem to have gotten scared or shy and are not as visible as they once were. Is this something that will pass? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Emil

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
I would just watch. Black neons aren't highly likely to attack and eat a sizable shrimp. But that doesn't mean they absolutely won't.

Your shrimp might be a little more shy from now on, but that's all I can see happening.

edwardmean

AC Members
Dec 31, 2006
Not trying to hijack but I bought a few amano shrimp and at first they were running around picking up flakes that floated to the bottom (they would pick up a flake with two hands and sit there nibbling on it) and climbing on the leaves of my plants. Recently I found one dead on the floor (I think it climbed out) and not seeing the other ones for days I thought them eaten but yesterday one reappeared from a hiding spot under my driftwood. I like the shrimp but if I were to buy them again I would buy 6-10 for my 33g. The one I have (at least I think it is only one) seems quite frightened and I rarely see it.

nickmcmechan

Proudly Scottish
Feb 25, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
Not trying to hijack but I bought a few amano shrimp and at first they were running around picking up flakes that floated to the bottom (they would pick up a flake with two hands and sit there nibbling on it) and climbing on the leaves of my plants. Recently I found one dead on the floor (I think it climbed out) and not seeing the other ones for days I thought them eaten but yesterday one reappeared from a hiding spot under my driftwood. I like the shrimp but if I were to buy them again I would buy 6-10 for my 33g. The one I have (at least I think it is only one) seems quite frightened and I rarely see it.
So, get at least 6 then...do you have other fish in with them...my tank is about the same size?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store