Question on Planted Angelfish Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JeffP

AC Members
Mar 26, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Hi all,

I am trying to figure out what to do with a 110XH. The tank is not ideal for goldfish due to low surface area and difficulty in cleaning gravel. I looked into a marine system and for a number of reasons that's a no-go. Last but not least, I think the tank would be beautiful if it were setup as a planted angelfish tank (but I would entertain other suggestions).

I have read recommendations to setup a well-planted tall tank and that angelfish do best with lighting on the low side. Plants and low lighting?:confused:

I almost forgot....the setup came with an Eheim 2229 wet/dry canister and I would obviously like to use it. How would it impact plants?

Any suggestions or comments?

Last edited:

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
That would be a beautiful tank to setup with plants and angels. a 110XH is 30 inches tall right?

If angels dislike bright lights, then my angels are in trouble... I got them in a 70 gallon tank with 220watts of cf lighting over it, with little or no shaded areas. Perhaps my angels are mutants? :D

If you want to go with low lighted plants, those can also look very beautiful. Java ferns can be used as a background plant (among other plants). Various species of anubias can be used as a foreground/carpet plant. Anubias can also be used as a background plant since they can ancor themselves onto driftwood/pieces of rock. Aquascape correctly even an exclusively anubias tank can look extremely beautiful.

Seeing how your tank is tall (assuming I remember my tank dimensions right) you want to go for slightly higher than usually wpgs (watt per gallon). If you can tell us what kind of setup you want (high, moderate or low light) we can advise you on your lighting setup.

I have no experience with the Eheim wet/dry canisters, but I do recall them being just fine for plant tanks.

HTH
-Richer

JeffP

AC Members
Mar 26, 2002
Syracuse, NY
You are correct....the tank is 30" tall (48x18x30).

I am pretty open to lighting level. My only concern was stressing the fish and/or disrupting potential mating behaviors.

The tank comes with a standard allglass 48" twin tube light. How about starting with that light outfitted with _____ tubes.

wetmanNY

AC Members
Don't fall in when you're reaching for the bottom!

I like the proportions of a tall tank. Work with several pieces of bogwood to lock them together into a high structure. (You might need to drill small holes and thread monofilament through to strap the bogwood together.) Plant the driftwood-snag structure, not the gravel. Add some floating plants. Leave the gravel shallow and cover it with leaf litter of dry autumn leaves.

Paint the back first: black with enough green colorant in it to make it midnight green.

...and get the most natural-looking angelfish you can find.

That's my two cents

JeffP

AC Members
Mar 26, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Wetman,

Even at 6'4", the bottom is a real stretch! I don't think I'd buy a 30" tall tank new but I couldn't pass-up on the whole package for $600 tax incl. I found out today that the tank is only 7 months old although the stand is older but in v good condition.

Anyway, I like the driftwood and leaf litter suggestion. Unfortunately, leaf litter is now buried under a foot of snow. You posted a thread not to long ago on the use of leaf litter. I can't remember if you did anything special to treat or clean the leaf litter prior to putting it in your tank. Do you simply remove it when it starts to deteriorate and replace with fresh litter? I also like the idea to plant the driftwood obstruction.

What about incorporating a larger potted plant...like an amazon sword or an assortment of other plants (potted?) that are characteristic to their normal environment. If potted plants are used, I'm sure something can be done to conceal the pots or otherwise make them look good.

My guess is that the aquascaping will need to leave plenty of open space for the angels to do their graceful swimming thing.

As always I am open to suggestions. It won't be setup until after the new year as I still have to setup another 50G goldfish tank that is sitting (empty) on my wife's china server.

I will eventually post pictures to show everyone what "we" did.

wetmanNY

AC Members
Our leaf litter is well buried too. Think of it as stashed for you in the freezer. It's not breaking down very fast right now...

The thing about dry, brown, dead autumn leaves is that the tree has withdrawn sap and sugar before it lets go. There's not much left except cellulose. Dry leaves don't disintegrate like, say Amazon Swordplant leaves, which let their nitrogen and sugars etc. leach into the water as they disintegrate. Creating mulm. Messy too. Beech leaves last six weeks or more. They get broken up into smaller and smaller shreds, skeletonized by microbes into lacy patterns, letting go of some tannins as they break down and finally crumble into humus fragments. I keep adding handfuls once a month or so all year long and only siphon out what comes as I do water changes.

I store them dry in pasta boxes. Packed in a fancier box, what a gift in July for a friend with planted tanks eh.

I have to hold back from putting leaves in all my tanks...

JeffP

AC Members
Mar 26, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Wetman,

I just read one of your posts in the PLANTS forum regarding a S American setup. You indicated that plants are not a strong component of the angelfish biotope, but I like the idea of a planted log jam.

How about a log jam with java ferns on the bottom and transitioning to java moss nearer to the surface? Can java moss be grown to drape or hang from drift wood? What do you think? (I don't have experience in aquatic plants so forgive me if that sounds ridiculous)

Once my Xmas lights are up, I guess I'll be digging for leaf litter. I like it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store