Help Me Pick a Dwarf Angel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

drobes

AC Members
Jan 23, 2007
Colorado
The suspect list:
Coral Beauty Angel
Flame Angel
Lemonpeel Angel
Bicolor Angel

Which one of these would be best for my tank? In addition to activity and personality, I'm hoping for low aggression and coral compatability (plan to make this a future reef someday...).

So please, help me pick the winner from this suspect list! I'm particularly interested in which ones you have owned in a reef tank and your experience with them!

My tank info: 80gal long w/ 125lbs live rock. Only tank inhabitant so far is a true percula, but will be adding several green chromis soon and also have a blenny, six liine wrasse, hawk fish and tang on my to get list.

blackwolfXKAV

Homo sapiens
Apr 20, 2006
New England Abroad.
The suspect list:
Coral Beauty Angel
Flame Angel
Lemonpeel Angel
Bicolor Angel

Which one of these would be best for my tank? In addition to activity and personality, I'm hoping for low aggression and coral compatability (plan to make this a future reef someday...).

[/B] Good news, and bad news, see, the thing withn angels is that you really can't predict whether a certain species will be coral aggressive or not; it really has to be done on a fish-by-fish basis.

So please, help me pick the winner from this suspect list! I'm particularly interested in which ones you have owned in a reef tank and your experience with them!

My tank info: 80gal long w/ 125lbs live rock. Only tank inhabitant so far is a true percula, but will be adding several green chromis soon and also have a blenny, six liine wrasse, <hawk fish and tang>
,It gonna depend on which specie syou choose, IE, some tangs/hawks get huge/aggressive. on my to get list.

I hope this helps you.

B.W.

drobes

AC Members
Jan 23, 2007
Colorado
Yeah I've heard the 50/50 rule on dwarf angels being reef safe, I was hoping this was more of a generalization and that there are some of these species in particular that people have had positive or negative experiences with.

If it helps, on my wish list I was leaning towards a flame hawkfish and one of the smaller tangs, probably a yellow... maybe a powder brown (japonicos, not the delicate gold rim nigerians (sp?) species). Both are listed as a max of 8" in aquaria.

blackwolfXKAV

Homo sapiens
Apr 20, 2006
New England Abroad.
Sorry about that, my code was off.

Anyhow, it is extremely difficult, if not impossible to tell whether or not a particular dwarf angel species will be aggressive towards corals or not. It most likely will have to be determined on a strictly individual basis.

Also, listing that you would encorporate a "hawkfish" and a "tang" is non-specific and, depending on what you choose, can affect the species of angels you will or will not be able to house.

Hope this helps :D

drobes

AC Members
Jan 23, 2007
Colorado
Hi blackwolf, thanks for the input. I listed that I am leaning towards a flame hawkfish and a yellow tang in the post above. I'm interested in hearing which species of dwarf angels you would rule in or out based on these tankmates.

Also, I want to hear from all of you dwarf angel owners out there (I know you're there...). What have your experiences been?

Thanks!

m007

m007
Jan 4, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Hey Drobes, flame angel owner here. I have an adult and he is very reef safe. Further he shares his space with a blue tang and purple tang. The only thing he has ever taken a hack at were my Green stars and that was a one time thing. I think he thought they were something else as it was during our daily feeding frenzy. I hear the flames from the Marshal islands are more reef safe then the ones from Hawaii but that may be just some LFS lore. (mine is apparently from the Marshals). Otherwise he's been great. Family favourite actually as he circulates through out the tank, through every hole, crevas. One note: he is not crazy about new comers. Although my blue tang is smaller he was in the tank first so they were fine when I added the flame. I added a yellow and he was a little aggressive as the yellow was just slightly larger. The yellow got eaten by my elegance coral anyway so that was that. The purple tang is larger than the yellow and immediately became king of the tank so no conflict there. (My purple has no fear as it will hack at my cleaning wand). I recently added a female neon goby and the flame didn't even blink. Hope this helps:)

Germanman

My fish are my babies
my flame angel has never even touched my corals the entire time ive had him. he at all my expencive sponge though.....
my buddy got a coral beauty and it would attack his star polyps ramdomly,( i think he didnt feed it enugh). i also had a coral beauty in the 550 gallon reef tank i serviced as well as a lemmon peal and a flame angel and they all left alone the corals asfar as i could tell. good luck man sometimes u can get the store to test the angel out for ya....but best thing is have a fish trap at ahnd if things go for the worse. ive noticed if u feed them a combo of meaty food, angel formula(or sponge), and algae they tend to leave alone corals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store