Zebra Pleco Growth

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

quantim0

Go Packers!!
Feb 19, 2002
Westfield, NJ
i get a juvinile Zebra (1"-1.5") about 4 months ago. how fast should he be growing? he's probably not even two inches at this moment. he gets fed bloodworms, beefheat, Ocean Nutrition Brine Shrimp Plus, squid, as well as flakes. is this growth rate normal or should i be concerned that he is not growing as quicky as i would expect? thanks.

also, my lfs got around 8 adult zebras in and i was wondering if it's be possible to breed them? does anyone know some links for breeding of my fav fish?

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Zebra growth is EXTREMELY slow.. how much are they asking for the zebra plecos? There is breeding info on the web. I think They need a small cave with a water pump directed at the cave. when they do breed, they only lay a few eggs and then takes the fry a LONG time to grow to Sellable size. hence they usually for for 50 dollars and highre... how much are they asking?

quantim0

Go Packers!!
Feb 19, 2002
Westfield, NJ
they are going for $59 a piece. plus i work there and get a discount. so i'd probably get like 4 for a 20L. then when my current one gets big enough add it to the tank with the adults.

clayt101

Registered Abuser
I say go for it!!!:) There growth rate is slow, but the small one could go in with the adults right away. (After quarentine) Here is a link to tell the differences between the sexes:

http://home.owari.ne.jp/~cones/lancefarm/zebra/zebra4.html

Females have more curved pectoral fins and fewer odontodes (spines) on the pectoral fins. Males will have more odontodes, broader head (tough to see), and more odontodes coming out of the cheek.

Good Luck

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
heres the deal with zebra plecos. They will be out in the open in store so you can see them and see how great a fish it is. Once you get it to your house, you will never see it again.. always hiding!!!!

clayt101

Registered Abuser
Originally posted by JamisonBWolsh
heres the deal with zebra plecos. They will be out in the open in store so you can see them and see how great a fish it is. Once you get it to your house, you will never see it again.. always hiding!!!!
That is true, but it is still fun to try to breed them. Peronally, to satisfy my "need to see my fish" needs, I set up a 10 gallon with 2 bettas:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store