black sand substrate?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Hi!

As some of you know, I am going to get some 8 khuli's! They just LOVE sand...so I went to the lfs and bought some. It was in an umarked bag at .89 per pound. Looks great in my tank!

Here is the problem. The owner of the store bought the sand from someone else and does not know who makes it. I am beginning to think this is SANDBLASTER sand (which is TERRIBLE on fish esp. kuhli's). How can I tell what is sharp? When I take a close look at this stuff, it has a reflected look to it and is not round. I then took a pinch of this stuff and rubbed it between 2 fingers slightly hard. Can you believe I got jabbed by a tiny peice that STUCK into my skin? Is this normal? I am beginning to think I have to take this stuff out of the tank. Would it be hard to remove the sand if I have to? I wasted that 8.90... Teaches me right to trust something that comes from an unnamed bag! URRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!

Luckily, I do not have the kuhli's in the tank yet!

Dabbler II

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Edmonton, Alberta,Canada
If you can get your hands on a microscope take a look at the grains that is the only way you can tell if the sand will be ok. If not the best way to get your sand out is to try to scoop it out with a small bucket into a larger bucket in the tank till it is full then pull the second bucket out. When you get to the last bit just use a 5/8 hose and suck up the last little bit. I would remove the sand if it feels sharp and if you don't know what it is. I was talking with my LFS guy and he did some research into sand substrates, sandblasting sand has multpull (sp) sharp edges on it (thats why they use it for blasting) almost like little stars this will cut your fishes skin and gills (if they sift the sand). I would only use marine grade sand for my tanks, this sand has been "polished"so there are no sharp edges, only round grains. It may cost a few bucks more but your fish will love you for it. It cost me $95.00-$100.00 for black sand for my 120 gal (120 lbs of sand):)

andruboz

Senile Member
Jan 6, 2003
texas
home.satx.rr.com
toys-r-us has a pretty cool 200x microscope for kids that plugs into a usb port for around $50. my brother got my nephews one last xmas.

Firsttanks

Multiple Species Fish Custodian
Feb 27, 2003
Beiseker Ab. Canada
Visit site
We use "play pit" sand in the majority of our tanks, get it at the hardware store for $3.95 for 50lbs. It is steralized, and guarenteed safe. The only drawbacks are you have to clean it really well to avoid cloudiness on the intial set up, and it only comes in 1 color (that I've found) yelowish brown, which can give your tank a yellow hue in the light. What we do to get around that is mix it with a bag of the more expensive colored aquarium sand (mix and match for different effects). I've also read posts from the UK recomending "Silver sand" which is pure white.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
sounds great! Thanks for the info. Would save me lots of money! But I think I would get the 10 pound bag of Taitan moon (misspelled?) black sand. That sand is true sand (not like what I have now..) and it is black. Your idea about the play sand is an excellent Idea though. If I did not want black sand...that would be my second choice :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store