building a full set-up

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
hey guys, just wanted to let you know that i will be constructing my own acrylic tank, and stand. This is a project of the near future and i have nothing but the plans atm, but i just thought id let everyone know 8). The dimensions of the tank are 50" by 30" by 30", also with two 5 gallon add-ons in the back to act as sumps, the front pannel of these "sumps" will also be the back pannel of the main tank, with drilled holes for water flow. Let me know what you guys think 8).

Jay

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
why is it such a pain?? i could change the demensions if you think that 30 inches would be a pain for depth...

Jay

aardvark1

Too many tanks are almost enough...
Sep 27, 2005
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
How long are your arms?

Sooner or later you will have to reach in and do something on the bottom of the tank; sure you could use tongs or something along those lines, but good old hands are sometimes needed!

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
yeah, i guess.... is there any temperature variation problems at a tank of this depth?? i orignally thought of a deeper tank because its going to be housing discus which can be tall 8). But if you think its a good idea i can lower it to around 24 inch depth.

Thanks,
Jay

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
its not temperature variations that worry me. thats a easy fix with a powerhead and a heater. i am 6'2" i find it hard some times to move things around or get to the bottom of the tank. i have 2-3 inch of gravel on top of that. 30 inch is just going to be from the top to the bottom. as you try to get to the back of the tank going diagonal its just going to be longer. in the end it comes down to what you want. i would find a store with at lest a 24 inch deep tank and put your arms to the bottom. think about trying to get a dead fish or cleaning algae or the many other things you might need to do in the tank.

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
yeah, i guess that could be rough... maybe i will move the depth up to around 24" or 22.5" and lengthen the tank to 60". Considering im only 5'11" haha

Jay

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The depth can be a real pain. Good idea to change it and increase the length for longer swimming space.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store