newbie upgrading to 20g - a couple of questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChuckP

overrun by java moss...
I currently have four platies (male and female sunset dwarf, two female orange dalmatian) and one very small female black molly living in a way-too-small 2.5 gallon tank. They seem less stressed than I do about their living conditions for the moment, despite the overcrowding. I'm managing to keep the chemistry stable with very frequent water changes, and I'm using about 1 tsp of salt per gallon, and the fish seem to appreciate it.

In the next week or so, I'm investing in a 20 gallon setup to give them some more room, allowing me to add another molly or two so the single one has some company, and to salve my conscience. as a certified newbie, I'd like to submit the following questions about my plan for the group:

-the little tank has an undgravel filter system, so no filter media to aid in getting the bacteria going in the new tank. As the new one's cycling, would it help things along if I added some of the old water from the water changes in the old tank to the new one?

-once my livebearers are settled and happy, I was considering adding a few bottom dwellers. I like corys, as they're interesting and don't get very large. However, I understand they're sensitive to salt. Is my current level (1 tsp per gallon) going to be toxic to these guys? if so, is there anything similar to the cory that would tolerate the salt and get along with my current population, or would I be better served to start stepping down the salt level my current fish are used to?

-finally - live plants - I'd like to include some, but haven't been able to find any good information. What types of plants, if any at all, would the experienced among us recommend this newbie, given what I'm considering.

thanks,
-chuck

Ulan

AC Members
Sep 22, 2006
Hi, good luck with your new 20 gallon tank!

The old water won't help you much with cycling the new tank, but the gravel from the old one will make a difference. If you want to switch gravel, you can put the old gravel into some sock (detergent-free!), cloth bag or fine net.

As far as the salt is concerned, you don't need it. Just phase it out.

If you keep standard lighting in your tank, you might try your luck with java fern, java moss, hornwort or anacharis. With other plants, it usually works (or not) on a case by case basis.

ChuckP

overrun by java moss...
thanks for the info!

a follow-up, if I may:

I'd like to keep the little tank rolling as a QT or fry tank, and leave the gravel in there.

however, in my "know less than I know now" phase a few months ago, I drained the tank and changed the gravel - I still have the old stuff (didn't do anything but rinse it), dry, stored in a ziplock. If I included this stuff in the new tank, would there be any beneficial bacteria left to kick off the cycling process?

Ulan

AC Members
Sep 22, 2006
I don't know whether those beneficial bacteria are able to build up spores. I'd guess that the dry gravel would be pretty useless. Keep in mind that you don't need all gravel from your old tank, but just a handful. If you keep some in a pantyhose in your new tank, you can just put the gravel back to your old one after your biological filter got a kick start. If you had too much of your biological filter in that pantyhose, you would remove most of it with the gravel in that case, so keep the amount somewhat in between.

If you have time, you can also start up the filter of your new tank on your old one before you set the new tank up. That way, the filter would already contain some beneficial bacteria from the get-go.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
well, youre in a perfect situation to sycle your new tank. since you have a UGF, your gravel is the main source of biofiltration, which means it is chock full of bacteria. the old dry stuff is useless, once the bacteria dries, it dies.

take a handful of gravel from the tank now and toss it in the 20g while cycling.. that will give you a good inoculation of live bacteria.

x2 on the salt.. no need for it, but don't cut it out completely all at once.

x2 on the plants as well, those are all good ideas for a smaller tank like 20g.

you're on the right track, your fish will appreciate it. :)

jamie1972

AC Members
Aug 21, 2006
I would float a piece of filter media in the old tank for a few days, then squeaze and swish it around in the new tank.....worked for me! Or use filter media that has been in operation in the old tank.

fishfoodyum

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
Mississauga, Ontario, CANADA
Same here

Hey I'm also upgrading from a small tank to 20 gallons, and considering platys and mollies!
Coincidence?
*high five*
:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store