Seachem's Purigen?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

uacich12

AC Members
Mar 6, 2007
TX
K, so I'm using a Seachem product called Purigen if you use it then you know what it is & it say's that it's exhausted when it turn a "deep" brown. When I chkd it was brown & since it's in a large can fltr & I was cleaning it I went ahead & pulled it out to "recharge" it. It may not have been the deep brown that is only briefly discribed, however it was diffently a brown color no question. When I mixed the bleach & water to recharge it @ 1:1 ratio it was suppose to soak 24hrs. then another 8hrs. in a dechlorinator water mixture, but w/ in 20 min. of soaking it was yellowish again as it was new, so my ? is should I not worry soaking it 24hrs. & pull it now or just go ahead & go w/ the full soak time. What if any has been your experience w/ this product? Thank you for all your comment's & help!:)

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
remember its bleach, the color goes fast the soaking is to rid the toxins that are absorbed in the purigen not on it wait the full time and do as directed..

uacich12

AC Members
Mar 6, 2007
TX
remember its bleach, the color goes fast the soaking is to rid the toxins that are absorbed in the purigen not on it wait the full time and do as directed..
Thank you:) sometimes I still forget to just see the forest thru the tree's:look: Do you use this? What did/do you think of it?

Last edited:

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
It work out ok in my tank.. got all my organics down to zeros but I did use double the recommended dose. To recharge, I just used regular bleach.. then washed it out in a 24 hr h2o soak and gave it another soak /w amquel

UpstateNYer

AC Members
Apr 10, 2008
Antwerp, NY 13608
Real Name
Ric Letson
midnightmadman:

I know that I haven't been a member of the forums for long but it seems like a bad, bad idea to use scented bleach for any task related to your tank. I'd avoid it because you don't really know what they've added to "scent" the bleach and can't be sure that surfacents or other "soap-like" additives haven't been added to the bleach.

Personally I'd pick up a bottle of un-scented bleach at the store and before even checking out make sure that the only listed chemical was sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) 3-6%. I'd also steer clear of any of the bleaches that claim to have any extra "whiteners" or "oxygenating" activity. I've seen a few that add sodium percarbonate which produces peroxides.

As my old chem professor used to say "Johnny was a chemist, a chemist he is no more, for what he thought was H20, was H2SO4". The moral of the story is you can never be too careful.

Rick

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store