Looking for a GOOD LFS in NE (Pee Dee region) South Carolina!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kimmisc

is in your closet.
Mar 12, 2007
Florence, SC
I am desperately seeking a good LFS in my area, and hope someone here is located nearby and knows of a good one. There absolutely is NOT one in my town, Florence, SC. I would be willing to drive an hour or two, to avoid having to order everything I need online.
And yes, I did check the LFS stickied thread. You're mostly all big city people. :)
My LFS is horrible. You can read about my experience with them here if you'd like.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
You could make it to Charlotte in about 2 hours. I used to run deliveries to Florence and it took me about 1.5 hours from Rock Hill.

Have you checked out any stores in Darlington maybe Hartsville? How about towards Myrtle Beach? I bet Wilmington is within a 2 hour drive.

If you do decide to drive 2 hours for fish supplies, you're crazy, there are some good ones in Charlotte I will list.

Fintastic 2135 Ayrsley Town Blvd # C, Charlotte, NC (704) 525-0049

Frank & Peg's Fish & Pet Place 6211 South Blvd, Charlotte, NC (704) 553-1839

Are the 2 best ones. You pay a little more for fish but its worth knowing they aren't disease infested.

kimmisc

is in your closet.
Mar 12, 2007
Florence, SC
I would absolutely drive 2hrs to get exactly what I want from a good store that won't try to rip me off. :) I can find everything I want online, but with the cost of shipping live stock, it isn't affordable because no single place has everything. It would be so costly to pay $20 shipping at multiple places for a fish here, fish there, frog/snail elsewhere, driftwood, plants, so on. Besides that, I am kinda skeptical about ordering live fish online.

If one of those shops you listed is willing to work with me when I call ahead, I can possibly get them to order the fish I want if they don't have them on hand, and get everything in one trip. I've even considered taking a road trip to Big Al's in Florida. :)

Gotcha38

AC Members
Mar 20, 2004
Clemson, SC
Visit site
Real Name
Zack
Hey, I'm from Florence too. You're talking about the Pet World or something like that on Cashua right? Over by Delmae Grocery? I went there once when I was originally shopping for a tank a few years ago, and had a similar experience. I tell them what I'm looking for, and they tell me what they think I need. I haven't been back since.

The Pet Lover's Warehouse on Irby Street over by Big Lots is meh. The guy that runs the fish section, I think his name might be Greg, seems to be intelligent about tanks. I think he works funny hours though. They do have a nice planted "sample" tank running in there, and I feel sure he set it up.

There is also a store in Hartsville I haven't been to yet, but you could always go check it out. At least I think there is.

I hope you have better luck. It's nice to see someone else from the area here!

kimmisc

is in your closet.
Mar 12, 2007
Florence, SC
Yes, that's the guy.. on Cashua.

I should have walked out the first day. There were signs that he was lying to me, but I was a noob, and I was glad to get rid of the red belly pacus and such that I'd bought from Wal-mart, so I did what he told me. Very foolish and costly mistake. :rolleyes:

There's D&M Pet Safari on Cashua near Pet World too. That one was just nasty, and dead fish in all the tanks.

Pet Lovers is mediocre. I would buy from them if they happen to have what I want, but it doesn't compare to the value of a good LFS. The one guy I talked to in there when I was starting told me to set up my tank, put cheap fish in, and when they die just replace them... then eventually my ammonia would go down and it would all level out. Not exactly a nice way to go about things, but he wasn't trying to take over my entire aquarium experience and rip me off, so 100% better than Pet World.

I work in Hartsville. Maybe I'll drop by that one someday before work.

Nice to see a neighbor on here!

Gotcha38

AC Members
Mar 20, 2004
Clemson, SC
Visit site
Real Name
Zack
Yes, that's the guy.. on Cashua.

I should have walked out the first day. There were signs that he was lying to me, but I was a noob, and I was glad to get rid of the red belly pacus and such that I'd bought from Wal-mart, so I did what he told me. Very foolish and costly mistake. :rolleyes:

There's D&M Pet Safari on Cashua near Pet World too. That one was just nasty, and dead fish in all the tanks.

Pet Lovers is mediocre. I would buy from them if they happen to have what I want, but it doesn't compare to the value of a good LFS. The one guy I talked to in there when I was starting told me to set up my tank, put cheap fish in, and when they die just replace them... then eventually my ammonia would go down and it would all level out. Not exactly a nice way to go about things, but he wasn't trying to take over my entire aquarium experience and rip me off, so 100% better than Pet World.

I work in Hartsville. Maybe I'll drop by that one someday before work.

Nice to see a neighbor on here!
I've never been in the D&M Pet Safari. I didn't realize they even sold any fish stuff. The only good thing about Pet World, if there is something, is that they make custom tanks, and I think they're all 1/4" thick glass.

I typed in 29501 in a "fish store serach engine" and it came up with a store in Hartsville, but I don't have a clue where it is or the quality. Good Luck.

And I just noticed that your Mom runs the fish section at a local Wal-Mart? I guess I know where to go for a tank if I can't come up with something on Craigslist!

Last edited:

kimmisc

is in your closet.
Mar 12, 2007
Florence, SC
The Walmart she works at is in Manning. :) She doesn't have any control on what stock is available, but for the most part, the fish are healthy, and if there is a tank of sick fish, she doesn't sell them to people without telling them the truth. Still not like a good LFS, but good for a Walmart. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store