Tank setup? - "What" & "how" advice needed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nanahachi

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
I have read and searched for threads on how to set up a new tank for cichlids, and have mostly found answers for types of cichlids to put in the tank, but not what substrate, etc i need to use.

I have a 20 gallon long, that currently only has some plants. It has yet to be cycled, because I was anticipating getting rid of my current substrate. I currently have LFS-bought small grain natural gravel/sand (1.5" deep), with black gravel above it (1.5-2" deep). I was also using an old whisper filter temporarily, but finally received my Filstar XP1 and AC200 from Bigals yesterday.

I realize that my tank is on the small side, so I am limited in my choice of cichlids. I am a pure newb however, and still dont know which ones are suitable for a tank my size. some suggestions were made in this thread.

I also realize that plants may not last long in a cichlid tank if they are of the more destructive/digger breeds...so I'm not married to the plants I currently have in the tank. However, I do have a rather powerful compact flourescent light (dont know the specs off the top of my head), and am worried that having no plants will cause mass algal growth...and i do like the look and presence of live plants.

So i guess I'm hoping to get info on
1) what substrates to use
2) what things/conditions are required for Cichilds, eg crushed coral? high alkalinity? etc
3) what to do about plants

and anything else that would help me set up a tank from scratch or work with what I have now.

here is a pic of my tank. the water level has been raised since the picture, and the plants have been moved around a bit. this was when I had just put them in the gravel upon returning from the LFS...and had not been organized for aesthetics...

thanks so much

Andy16

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
That 20 would be great for some lake tanganyikan shell dwellers or and other dwarf cichlid. Shell dwellers need shells obviously and they also havea great personality. go to www.cichlid-forum.com and check out some of teh articles on shell dwellers. some good info there.

GT3050

AC Members
Apr 14, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I think you could get away with a convict pair in a 20 long.

nanahachi

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
thanks for the ideas!

i know ill need that info later, but im really looking for infrastructure ideas right now. like using slate, sand, crushed coral, etc...

please lend your thoughts if you can

thanks!!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002

Just my opinion, but I'd recommend Onyx Sand. It's a dark gray substrate, but not as dark as what you have in your picture.

nanahachi

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Ok, I've gotten rid of the old gravel, picked up something new. Very tiny, almost glass like tiny black gravel. Today I'm heading over to the LFS to grab some bowl rocks for caves for future cichlids, and perhaps some annubis or java fern to grow atop them. Pics to come tonight or tomorrow hopefully.

NOW, I am ready for Cichlid suggestions.:D
I am going to do some reading about shell dwellers...
Any thoughts on Malawis?
Blue and yellow cichlids would be beautiful, however, I think I'm constrained by the size of my tank as well as my desire to have not overly aggressive fish.

Can't wait to hear your ideas.

Thanks!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store