Discus Eating

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sun Devil

AC Members
Jan 19, 2007
Off and on over the years, I've kept several discus, but I've never seen what I saw this morning. I have three newish (to me) discus who share a tank with a few other tankmates - some tetras, corys, and two angels. In the past I've always fed my discus the usual suspects - tetra bits, frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms, sometimes live blackworms, etc. In all my experience, which is probably limited compared to some of the rest of you, I've never had discus who were even remotely interested in generic flake food. This morning I dropped some Omega One flakes into the tank to give the little guys something to munch on while the bigger guys were busy with their normal meal. My discus greedily vacuumed the flakes up as well.

I think it's pretty cool, but I'm still kind of surprised. Do others of you experienced discus keepers have flake-eating discus?

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
I am new to Discus,but mine eat flake too !
Actually more than the other foods you mentioned

KingOfTheDeep

All Hail The King
Nov 2, 2005
New York City
Real Name
Dan
in the four times i've kept them, they ate flake food more than anything else

they wouldnt touch any type of pellet, or "bits"

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
most of mine prefer the foos to drop just below the surface..except they will attack the spoon above the surface..I use a spoon to distribute brine shrim,bloodworms,sinking pellet mix ..the largest discus will slap the spoon knocking the food into the tank.

he will also eat flake at the top.

was this one of the discus you got from Ken?

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
Mine and the ones at my work go crazy for New Life Spectrum Discus, the best brand of food out there. That's the only thing they get.

VTwinFanatic

Endlers
Mar 17, 2005
North Carolina
now my discus dont care for flakes and i also have two that wont touch pellets at all but the new life spectrum discus pellets have had a dramatic color enhancement on my other discus that will eat them greedily...i feel that a varied diet is the best for any discus though

reptileguy2727

Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
That used to be true, but NLS is truly complete and the best results are achieved when it is the only thing fed, which tells me that feeding them anything else is diluting the nutrition in the NLS.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I also vary the diet.

I believe that fish , like most lifeforms need variety..

reptileguy2727

Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
They need the best nutrition available. That used to mean a varied diet, but New Life Spectrum has put everything they need into one pellet. It may be hard to believe but if you try you should be pleasantly surprised. Just go to nlpublish.com and check out the testimonials section and see the results that people are getting, fresh or salt this food is a jump above others.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store